Temporary Position

I work for a large university that are making numerous people redundant. Can I be forced to work a different position for the length of my notice period - 3 months. 

Comments

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,636 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    What does your contract of employment say about being flexible regarding work duties?
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    You could take the time off as unpaid leave. 
  • Good Morning.
    My contract states that I could be required to work in another catering outlet within the university, however the position we are currently being forced to do (Welcome host - Covid-19 Marshals) has no similarity to my contracted position.
  • Thrugelmir.
    Thank you for your enlightening response.
    I am aware that I could take unpaid leave, it's an option currently under consideration.
    I'm also aware that I could catch Covid-19, pass it to my love ones and die, that way the university won't have to pay redundancy money.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Louis_2uk said:

I'm also aware that I could catch Covid-19, pass it to my love ones and die, that way the university won't have to pay redundancy money.

No death in service benefit provided ? 

If you are concerned about your loved ones. Life assurance is a cheap way of covering that eventuality. The one certainty in life is that we are going to die of something. Life is a thread that we all hang by.  Make the most of everyday is my motto. 
  • Thrugelmir.
    Thank you for your contribution,  someone of your obvious intellect must be inundated by people desperate for your wisdom, I'm surprised you have time to answer my enquiry.......oh no sorry you didn't. If I was a suspicious man I'd be thinking you worked at my university, HR maybe
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,708 Forumite
    edited 26 October 2020 at 9:29AM
    Are you in a union? It could fall under the “any other duties” clause which I’m guessing your contract has. 
    Although suggesting the university are putting you in a position to catch COVID to avoid paying out redundancy is a little bit of a jump. 
    Far more likely that they just need  you in the new role not your current one. 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Good Morning Elsien,
    Yes I belong to Unite union and have written to them regarding this but unfortunately they have failed to respond.
    I will check my contract more closely and contact my house insurance as it provides legal cover / advise. 
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,708 Forumite
    edited 26 October 2020 at 10:10AM
    Do they not have an email/contact form or phone contact number? What about the university rep?  Many people are working from home with physical post being checked less frequently so your letter could just be sitting somewhere.
    You could ring also  ACAS in the interim. Their advice can be hit and miss but it's a starting point. 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Sorry my mistake, I did emailed Unite and I'm still waiting a response.
    As for Acas this is also an option I have considered and intend to pursue. But as your rightly stated previously l need to check "other duties"
    Although in my unqualified opinion "Other duties" is somewhat open ended and endless in its scope. Why have a contract when you can be moved into any position that suits your employer.
    You advice is appreciated, thank you.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure