We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Buyer's solicitor delayed exchange but pushing for same completion date

Hi all, our conveyancer is very responsive but buyer's solicitor is delaying matters. We have been relaxed about our sale and never chased our buyer. We hadn't found anywhere ourselves and said we would move to rented if we didn't find anywhere. We were asked for a completion date at the beginning of October and we gave 30th. We were told everyone was ready and because we are breaking the chain and moving into rental, we were encouraged to move quickly and agreed. I was even chased for a signed contract on 5th October and left work early to sign and deliver it. We've still not exchanged because of delays both with our buyer and also their buyer. Despite having delayed exchange, they expect us to keep to the completion date. Is it reasonable for us to say that we want 2 weeks between exchange and completion? I feel for the buyers, I know they are keen but their solicitor is terrible and has twice found an issue after saying she was ready to exchange! I haven't booked the removal company because they kept delaying matters and I didn't want to pay to change the date. They first needed to change lender and second was something to do with their buyer. So frustrating. Also agent keeps telling us to get our solicitor to chase but I feel that's unfair. He is ready and also we are paying him a fraction of what the EA is getting! 

Comments

  • Tiglet2
    Tiglet2 Posts: 2,734
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    No problem at all asking for two weeks between exchange and completion if that's what you prefer, particularly as you need to book removals.  Perhaps book a provisional date with the removers and then put this date forward as your preferred completion date.

    I imagine that the buyer's solicitor has been doing a final review of the file and a few bits of information were missing, hence the suggestion that they were ready and then finding out that something else needed to be done.  Certainly changing lender would add some time as a new mortgage offer would have to be issued.
  • As a buyer I would not agree to a 2 week gap given the current climate. I think the advice is to minimise time between exchange and completion... may be a factor 
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,476
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Agree with above, I'd not want 2 weeks. 

    Some solicitors are more short staffed than others at present, or have more wfh. Perhaps you got luckier than your buyer. Don't see why, presuming everything gets answered, you can't still complete then. These suggested dates should be taken with a pinch of salt anyway. They often change several times.
    2024 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • ss2020jd
    ss2020jd Posts: 654
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Oh no that does sound so frustrating. I think it is reasonable in the current climate too. I read that in fact solicitors are being advised to have a COVID clause to cope with any unexpected delays that could be caused by things like difficulty and notice for booking removals, surveyors, searches etc. If the buyer has had to delay things it’s not unreasonable to expect the same amount of time that you originally needed before exchange and completion. I hope you get it sorted. 
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
     I know they are keen but their solicitor is terrible and has twice found an issue after saying she was ready to exchange!

    That's a smokescreen as they cannot speak on behalf of their client. 
  • onyx911
    onyx911 Posts: 108
    Third Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Thank you for the replies. I think I will put forward 2 weeks and see what they say. If they can’t agree it or are advised not to, we can look again. It’s definitely frustrating as we were in no rush at all and never once chased them for an update or to move things along. The buyer has shown commitment from the start, I really don’t blame them personally. But for us to gear up to exchange on their timetable then spend so much time chasing and it still doesn’t happen doesn’t sit right either. 
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,877
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    onyx911 said:
    Thank you for the replies. I think I will put forward 2 weeks and see what they say. If they can’t agree it or are advised not to, we can look again. It’s definitely frustrating as we were in no rush at all and never once chased them for an update or to move things along. The buyer has shown commitment from the start, I really don’t blame them personally. But for us to gear up to exchange on their timetable then spend so much time chasing and it still doesn’t happen doesn’t sit right either. 
    Are you OP?
  • badger09 said:
    onyx911 said:
    Thank you for the replies. I think I will put forward 2 weeks and see what they say. If they can’t agree it or are advised not to, we can look again. It’s definitely frustrating as we were in no rush at all and never once chased them for an update or to move things along. The buyer has shown commitment from the start, I really don’t blame them personally. But for us to gear up to exchange on their timetable then spend so much time chasing and it still doesn’t happen doesn’t sit right either. 
    Are you OP?
    Partner.
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,877
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Fair enough, I was just a bit confused. Happens easily these days.
    I've posted elsewhere on your threads re 2 week gap. Totally understand why you're asking and would appreciate update re your solicitor's advice on this. I'd settle for 48 hours in the current situation - but we're all different.
  • badger09 said:
    Fair enough, I was just a bit confused. Happens easily these days.
    I've posted elsewhere on your threads re 2 week gap. Totally understand why you're asking and would appreciate update re your solicitor's advice on this. I'd settle for 48 hours in the current situation - but we're all different.
    Thank you. We've had quite a few delays since agreeing to exchange but as of this morning everyone has agreed 5th November and said they are ready to exchange so I am hopeful again. Solicitor is fine with it and our buyer plus their buyer have all agreed. I showed the estate agent the terms and conditions from the removal company (attached here I think) which says 60% fee for changing date within 5 working days and 30% fee for changing in 7 working days. They understood why I didn't want to confirm any bookings until exchange. I hope they do exchange today or tomorrow though. 
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.