The second hurdle - Nichelette v the huge mortgage

Replies

• Viking_mfwViking_mfw Forumite
    491 Posts
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    If you do have GD don't beat yourself up about it. It's entirely hormonal and completely not preventable by diet. And although they will make you try to control it by diet, it is almost always not possible to do so and most people end up on meds so DON'T feel guilty. I had it both times and it vanished within 24 hours of birth. 
  • savingholmessavingholmes Forumite
    17.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Health is the most important thing. Clutter can wait. It's easy for an outsider to say, but I'd be letting the bunny go... Hugs whatever you decide. Such decisions with pets are never easy. I'm lucky enough to have never had to make them.
    Target 1) Clear CC debt - £1707 to go (but debt neutral) @ 0% Target 2) Lose weight & get fit 3) Write regularly 38113/70000 words Book 2 4) Develop passive income streams 5) Get to £3K EF 6) Declutter 7) MFW starting at £201999 Nov 21 with 264 262 payments to go. Now £200720. 8) Mortgage neutral progress (via private pension starting value c£3643 Nov 21) extra payments £187 including tax relief
  • NicheletteNichelette Forumite
    2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you do have GD don't beat yourself up about it. It's entirely hormonal and completely not preventable by diet. And although they will make you try to control it by diet, it is almost always not possible to do so and most people end up on meds so DON'T feel guilty. I had it both times and it vanished within 24 hours of birth. 
    Thank you. This does make me feel a bit better, I think I'm just a bit a bit sad that I can't go into the birthing unit and will need hospital 'proper' if I do have it. I know things often don't go to plan but it's the fact it will be a definite no straight away. Obviously the most important thing is we're both okay at the end though.

Health is the most important thing. Clutter can wait. It's easy for an outsider to say, but I'd be letting the bunny go... Hugs whatever you decide. Such decisions with pets are never easy. I'm lucky enough to have never had to make them.
    I know what you mean. I've got him back in his old home now so it should be a bit easier to manage going forward but I'll need to go back to the vet this week because I'll run out of antibiotic so we'll see what they say. It is very hard because we do love the little guy. They live inside and have their own personalities so it's more like losing a cat or dog to us. 

Anyway, in happier news, £300 off the mortgage from my sideline. That's my first overpayment of the year. Woop. I've also discovered that whilst Gaviscon doesn't touch the acid I've been getting natural yoghurt seems to be a miracle cure which I'm delighted with :D. That will be a pro once he is born too. I've never really suffered with it before now and I can't wait for it to go! 
    Finally bought a home
    Starting mortgage £289,500 31.01.19 - Current outstanding £228,945.57
    MFW #86 - aiming for 5k in 2022
    Overpayments since 27.03.19: £39,513. 52
    17.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad the yoghurt is working and that your side hustle is paying off
    Target 1) Clear CC debt - £1707 to go (but debt neutral) @ 0% Target 2) Lose weight & get fit 3) Write regularly 38113/70000 words Book 2 4) Develop passive income streams 5) Get to £3K EF 6) Declutter 7) MFW starting at £201999 Nov 21 with 264 262 payments to go. Now £200720. 8) Mortgage neutral progress (via private pension starting value c£3643 Nov 21) extra payments £187 including tax relief
  • ohdearhowdidthathappenohdearhowdidthathappen Forumite
    999 Posts
    500 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    There's not a lot you can do to avoid gestational diabetes, some women are just prone to it.
    At our trust, they don't routinely induce early unless there's a problem.  They do scans every 4 weeks (28, 32, 36 weeks) to check growth, fluid volume, kidneys/bladder and dopplers and as long as it's not getting massive and everything looks healthy, they'll probably let you go to term :)
    Well done on the overpayment!
    Debt Dec '18 £45393. Debt free June 2020
    New savings goals: House renovations £10000/£10000 - complete 09/21, FFEF £5000/£10000
    2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    As per I'm rubbish at updates, but hey ho! I always come back eventually... 

So in good news I don't have gestational diabetes which I was really pleased about. I'm 36 weeks on Tuesday and can't wait to get him out. I have terrible reflux at night now which is pretty gross but I know it's part parcel of being pregnant. I think we're basically ready now and have everything we need so no more baby related expense for the foreseeable. Woop.

Work have now appointed my cover but I'll be working until I go into labour or get induced. I figure there was no point in going early between working from home anyway, not being able to do anything because of the restrictions, and expecting to be late anyway meaning less time with baby and needing childcare sooner where I'd be back at work sooner. I've got a plan now which means I should only need nursery 2 days a week which would be great if it comes off, we'll see though. 

Boy bun is still with us <3 . He's stable now and his care isn't too onerous so he'll be with us until his body says no. He's such a little fighter. 

We're getting there gradually with the overpayments and we're basically neutral with the CC now though I'm keeping the money in premium bonds until the 0% rate is close to ending . I've just amended my target down to 12k for the year as I forgot to adjust my spreadsheet for 3 months SMP and a month unpaid. Whoops :o . Once baby is here I'm going to pay more attention to outgoings as I've been a bit lax lately. I've been buying things like cloth nappies and other baby bits which should save us money in the long run, but have a significant outlay. 

Finally bought a home
    17.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad things are still going well over all. Nearly on the home straight and then you have lots of lovely time off with your baby. I never had that long off - they extended it after I had mine I think - and I didn't have the money anyway.
    17.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You ok?
    Missing you
    2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Am good Saving :). It has been a couple of months since I last posted, and now we have a lovely little boy called Oliver who was born on the 7th April weighing 8lb 11oz. 

I went to my usual midwife appointment 3 days before I was due and my blood pressure was high. It turns out I had pre eclampsia. I'd had absolutely awful swelling which I'd called triage about several weeks before, but my BP wasn't high and I think they dismissed it as normal swelling what with him being my first. Although the reading I took then wasn't high I'm sure it had been brewing for ages. 

I was induced the day before my due date. There wasn't any movement at first but I got to 6cm in 2 hours after the second attempt on a couple of paracetamol. I was doing okay on gas and air but at 8cm he went back to back and I ended up with an epidural. I spent an hour pushing with no joy so I ended up needing forceps and then a caesarean if that didn't work. Fortunately they did, but I haemorrhaged and lost 2.6l of blood making me anaemic. I think my poor husband still has PTSD from seeing it. I needed an episiotomy for the forceps and also got a grade 3 tear so I went through the mill a bit. I didn't even get the mythical toast!

We spent 6 days in hospital and I came home with all manner of medication. I ended up having a blood transfusion and an iron infusion. I felt so rough it's only last week I actually started feeling a bit normal again. I literally spent the whole time feeling a combination of light headed and tipsy, but thankfully I'm much better now as I was sick of feeling too unsafe to drive! I was given 40 days of blood thinning injections and only have 8 left now which is great as I'm running out of spots to inject, and they're sore! Fortunately baby was always very happy in there and has always been well. I'd rather it that way around because he couldn't tell us what was wrong if he was ill. 

Given how rough I was all things money took a back seat, but I'm trying to get on top of things now. Overpayments for the year stand at £3856 and will be near 5k when I do my end of month sweep. I don't think we've done badly all things considered. We've also reduced the capital outstanding on the mortgage by 50k since we took it out and have about 100k in equity. I'm happy considering that's in just over 2 years. I'm going to continue to overpay the mortgage, but I've also opened a Vanguard account to try and invest a bit for the longer term. I'm sticking £500 away per month for the 6 months I'm getting full pay to bolster the time I'm on statutory, but I'm going to try not to use it as really we should be able to manage on the one wage. Anyway. I'll make a more detailed money post shortly :)
    Finally bought a home
    2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm trying to be a bit more on the ball now and get into some sort of routine, though baby seems to be awake all the time which is making it hard to get anything done! 

Yesterday I paid £700 off the mortgage. There will be a bit more to come this evening when I sweep accounts as we're paid tomorrow, but doing some yesterday means it will reflect on the balance today rather than waiting over the weekend. I'm also trying to do some prolific surveys which I haven't done for ages. I've already made £8 since 4pm yesterday so I'm going to try and remember to leave my laptop in the background so I hear alerts when there are new surveys. If I made £8/day that would be pretty good going!

I bought a lot of reusable nappies which I'm currently in the process of pre washing to increase their absorbency. I'm hoping in the long run they will save us money (plus we can reuse IF we have a second baby, and the used market for them is good) but I need to get into a good routine to keep on top of the washing. The amount of disposables we're getting through at the moment is shocking. I have to change him a lot because he is also taking so much milk! I feel very environmentally guilty seeing what we're binning, and practically with the bin only being emptied every 2 weeks and the puppy pads I'm getting through for disabled bun it's just too much. I have bought reusable pads for him too, but they get covered in hay and hair and I think at the moment it's just too much to managed with the baby too. 

Having baby is lovely but equally I was 35 last week and work/education is all I've ever really known so I'm missing the structure that provides. I'm going to try and replace that by being more organised at home. I've got a diary and I'm going to make a list of my jobs and create a deep cleaning rota for each room. I'm also going to try and meal plan a month at a time because at the moment it's usually done a bit frantically on a Sunday so we aren't necessarily using up some foods and they're sitting in the cupboard for ages. To be honest I'd like to batch cook freezer food but my husband doesn't consider it 'fresh' and getting him to actually eat it is hard *eye roll*. 
    Finally bought a home