The second hurdle - Nichelette v the huge mortgage

Replies

• NicheletteNichelette Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    @South_coast I know! I think as long as it is for the long term it should be okay. £1600 is ours, no set plan for it other than future but we should be fine to leave it in there until it eventually recovers, and we're not talking tens of thousands like some have. Chunky also has £1200 contributed so far but he's not getting that until he is at least 18 and possibly older so again not too worried. Might move it into something a bit 'safer' when he's 16 or so depending on how it is going. 
    Finally bought a home
    Starting mortgage £289,500 31.01.19 - Current outstanding £223,405.95 - Savings in Vanguard £2,200 (give or take, mostly take nowadays..)
    MFW #86 - aiming for 5k in 2022
    Overpayments since 27.03.19: £42,066.45
  • savingholmessavingholmes Forumite
    20K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    I think you just have to take the long view. One book I read said the people's investments who did the best turned out to be the one belonging to people who had died and so stopped messing. Buffet has a buy and hold type strategy... He seems to have done something right... 
    Target 1) Debt free April 22 Target 2) Lose weight & get fit (started) 3) Write regularly 41426/70000 words Book 2 4) Develop passive income streams 5) Get to £3K EF (at £2.2K June 22) 6) Declutter 7) MFW starting at £201999 Nov 21 with 264 257 payments to go. Now £196,869. 8) Mortgage neutral progress (via private pension starting value c£3643 Nov 21) extra payments £312 including tax relief
    2.1K Posts
    Forumite
    I agree. Anything I've ever seen says it's not worth trying to time the market so I'll just continue to buy each month at what will hopefully become a discount in the future. Currently -8.1%, my timing with basically everything in life financially has always been poor so nothing new :D. Managed to get some free/cheap food from apps so food spend currently at £44 for last 10 days.
    Finally bought a home
    Starting mortgage £289,500 31.01.19 - Current outstanding £223,405.95 - Savings in Vanguard £2,200 (give or take, mostly take nowadays..)
    20K Posts
    Forumite
    Well done on the free food.
    Target 1) Debt free April 22 Target 2) Lose weight & get fit (started) 3) Write regularly 41426/70000 words Book 2 4) Develop passive income streams 5) Get to £3K EF (at £2.2K June 22) 6) Declutter 7) MFW starting at £201999 Nov 21 with 264 257 payments to go. Now £196,869. 8) Mortgage neutral progress (via private pension starting value c£3643 Nov 21) extra payments £312 including tax relief
    2.1K Posts
    Forumite
    Have been a bit spendy recently. I've discovered the joy of buying little converse so I've grabbed a couple of cheap new unworn pairs from Vinted which is quickly becoming a second hobby :# (don't worry, I'm not putting shoes on him yet, they're bigger sizes as he will need something to walk on our horrible molten lava plastic 'grass' in summer). Also bought 3 big Yankee candles at the weekend as they were half price. One was for mothers day, but mine were still £25. Have chosen to justify as I don't buy myself much often, and the candles do warm the room as thermostat is permanently on 17.5 here. Speaking of which, Bulb bill is going up from £118 to £156 in April. Expected but still rubbish. 

Have MOT at 1.30 today which was another £47. Found it cheaper at chain places but was put off by horror stories so going to my usual place. It will be the first one so hopefully will be fine. It was serviced recently so can't see there being problems as we've already had new tyres fitted. 

Food spend for pay month currently at £66.15 so good. Need a couple of bits later so going to walk up to Aldi whilst car is having MOT. Fridge is looking good and freezer is just rammed now instead of being impossibly full. Optimistic final figure will be low. 

Have been trying to pay an extra £10 off the mortgage some days. All helps in the long run. I feel like doing it gradually as the month goes on makes me feel a bit better as I know we won't run out (I also did 1k when we got paid).

Speaking of pay, since I figured out the issue I still haven't heard back from payroll. Expect I've confused them. I'm doing my final working day before I start back properly on Friday so I expect my manager will ask then as I normally have a chat with him. Ultimately they screwed up the date so I will have to have more days unpaid than I wanted, but I can't change it because of the date he's set to start nursery is fixed, but I am definitely £300 of SMP down either way.

Have about £550 left until the 14th having deducted MOT cost and £20 for food later, though I probably won't spend that much. 
    Finally bought a home
  • edited 2 March at 5:38PM
    NicheletteNichelette Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    Forumite
    edited 2 March at 5:38PM
    Car passed without advisories so all good on that front. Wasn't quite the same experience as when I used to take my ancient Punto and pray  :D. Got a bit of a walk in to Aldi and only spent £14.53. DH asked me to come back with 'treats' for him so that included a steak and a mini wine. Got plenty of fresh stuff. It always astounds me what you get in Aldi for so little. 

Decided to fill car up on the way home as I was going back near Tesco where it is cheaper and only had about a quarter of a tank left so -£52.99 on fuel. 

Am only one receipt scan away from £20 on shoppix. So close! Money will come off of the balance left on coffee machine. It was £232 and I've only been using extra money from receipt scanning and prolific to pay it off. Currently have £96 left but have £18 pending on prolific and the nearly £20 so will have about £60 left. Quite impressed with my efforts  B)
    Finally bought a home
    20K Posts
    Forumite
    How annoying about the £300 SMP

It sounds like you have things under control budget wise and a treat does us good now and then.
    2.1K Posts
    Forumite
    Spoke to my manager on Friday as I'm still waiting for them to resolve the pay thing. I honestly think I've confused them because there is no reason it should take this long. Anyway, expect we will get there eventually, though it has taken so long I won't get it this month either now. 

Chunky was 11 months yesterday. ELEVEN WHOLE MONTHS... After much pondering I've decided to have some cake smash photos done at the end of the month. Not even going to say now much because it's embarrassing, but I figure it's not every day... Probably not the most sensible thing when everything is sky rocketing, but never mind. He's a bit of a bin and will eat anything which is good. He seems to have a particular love of peas too which is funny. One of the tiny Converse pairs were refunded as unsent so I've bought him a little Celtic kit for the summer instead. That's for my husband and not me :D.

Money doing okay, haven't copied everything from my diary over to my spreadsheet but have about £200 left until the 14th which is plenty. Have also paid another £60 off mortgage. 

Although I don't think we'll end up destitute or anything the state of everything is quite concerning. I know it's nothing compared to the poor Ukrainian's, but I think most people are a bit anxious. We've got raised beds at the end of our garden which I've suggested replanting with veg this year to try and save us a bit on food. I've successfully grown veg before so I might start some bits off from seed soon as it's that sort of time now. 
    Finally bought a home
    20K Posts
    Forumite
    Yes - I think the general anxiety is catching too. I am going to try and sow some seeds again too. I have plenty of compost - just need to find what I did with the pots. I know where my seeds are - which is unusual for me. Failing that - I'll sow wildflowers.

Hope your work sort the £ soon. Well done on the budgeting regardless. Enjoy your firsts with your little one. They soon pass.
  • edited 14 March at 5:12PM
    NicheletteNichelette Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    Forumite
    edited 14 March at 5:12PM
    So final day of our pay month today. Yesterday our Alexa echo show thingy died. Unfortunately it was 10 weeks out of warranty  :s. I can't complain too much because I won it from Betfred when I was doing a MB offer :D. Anyway, I ordered a refurbished one for £70 as I've realised that a) I use it loads and b) I use it as a monitor for chunky. I know he'd probably be fine at his age but I'm conditioned now and like being able to see him when I wake up (which is often). Ended up being £54 as I had £16 in vouchers from surveys etc. It's annoying as new ones were that recently, but it has a year warranty which is the same as new ones so could be worse. Anyway, the lord works in mysterious ways. I was annoyed about that eating into my end of month mortgage OP but I won £90 from a free spin I was given earlier  :D.

Food spend for the month is £173.49. To be honest could have been lower. I still have a pretty full freezer but food is the thing I treat myself to most, and I've been stockpiling some bits (currently have 10 cartons of passata). I don't need to buy more formula now so positives. So looking forward to sticking the steriliser and prep machine into storage and reclaiming a bit of the kitchen!

I think I have about 6 weeks left with chunky. To be honest the idea of leaving him full time is heart breaking but we really need to move before part time is even an option. Will see what happens if we do have another. Still no news on pay issue. Realised I'll also be paying higher NI on anything I do get now as it will be in April. Thanks work.. Our pay deal is up for negotiation this year (they do 4 year deals, it's usually linked to inflation with an upper and lower limit) but by all accounts it's not going well so that will probably drag out for at least a year. Same happened last time when they tried to shaft us. 

Final OP will be about £150 so total £1250 over the pay month which I can't knock. Need to find out if nursery fees are paid in advance or not (think it's after) so I know how much I need to stash away as he starts end of April. Want to blitz the house and declutter before I start back because I know it's going to be really hard once I'm working again. We're going to write out some rotas to try and keep us on track because at the moment I can see myself collapsing in a heap once chunky is in bed.
    Finally bought a home