The second hurdle - Nichelette v the huge mortgage

Replies

• NicheletteNichelette Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I've had an add up and emailed payroll this morning. I've gone back through my old payslips and I think I'm down a minimum of about £300 in SMP but we'll see what they say. I actually got about £100 more than normal full pay as I did some KIT days so no need to raid the savings, but I'm definitely short in one way or another. Will see what they come back with. 

Anyway, we've been paid today so I've paid 1k off the mortgage to celebrate my first more normal month again for a while so over 40k overpaid now. Next month I need to open one of the tax free childcare accounts so we'll have to start paying into that then. I'm going to stick the emergency fund into premium bonds. I can't imagine there is any reason we'd need cash so badly that we couldn't use a credit card and wait a few days to access it and you never know, we might actually win something!

Trying to be careful with spending this month and do a better job of tracking. I'm going to go pay month to pay month as it's easier for me than doing calendar months. 
    Finally bought a home
    Starting mortgage £289,500 31.01.19 - Current outstanding £223,405.95 - Savings in Vanguard £2,200 (give or take, mostly take nowadays..)
    MFW #86 - aiming for 5k in 2022
    Overpayments since 27.03.19: £42,066.45
    2.1K Posts
    Forumite
    I've just been mulling the pay thing over again. I messaged my manager and I've just realised the cause of the issue as he has sent me another document. My HR letter states that I'll end maternity leave after 43 weeks (so 39 and SMP and 4 as unpaid).

Something different that HR have sent to my manager (not me) and I assume payroll states that I'm having 6 months full pay, 3 months statutory and then a month unpaid. This is why they've calculated it from 5th Feb and not 1st Feb as my start date. 

I will confess for some reason the start date on my original letter says 7th Feb which is a week out, but I had a major haemorrhage when he was born and felt like I was drunk for 6 weeks, so I've probably not even entertained checking they had the right date. I honestly have no idea where they've pulled it from. 

Anyway, upshot is if they use those dates the actual pay (not the SMP) is probably right, but that is what I've based nursery start around so I'll probably have to have more unpaid days than I'd intended which is annoying. I will be double checking they've calculated my holiday correctly as I don't have much faith at the moment!
    Finally bought a home
    Starting mortgage £289,500 31.01.19 - Current outstanding £223,405.95 - Savings in Vanguard £2,200 (give or take, mostly take nowadays..)
  • AimingforthegoodlifeAimingforthegoodlife Forumite
    122 Posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Hi Nichelette, congrats on baby and he sounds like he is growing amazingly! Rubbish news about the pay, I hope it can all be sorted. I was rooting for bunny, you did so well to get him through his illness, and I love the tattoo. Hope everything went ok with your dad, my dogs are my world so I can't even imagine, but I bet having you there made it more bearable. House price might be right as prices have flown up around mine!
    2.1K Posts
    Forumite
    Thank you @Aimingforthegoodlife. Although I didn't live with this dog we've had lots of family dogs so lots of losses too. It is heart breaking, but it's best to think about all the joy they brought over their many years  <3.

Had new front tyres fitted earlier. Need to get tracking done too as they were wearing unevenly but knew that already. Pot holes are horrendous around here... Need to get MOT booked in too as that's due on 19th March. 

I've been updating forecast 2026 (my projections for me at 40) when I thought we may move, but I'm probably better looking at 2024 as that's more likely when we will move now. Fix ends Jan 24 but I only want to move if it's to somewhere we actually want and not if we're having to make massive compromises because it's so expensive to move. I'd rather get a new 2 year fix and bunk beds in Oliver's room if we end up with a second, though equally I'd prefer to move before he starts school so I'm not having to take him away from friends, but that is a long way away at the moment so I'll cross that when it comes to it. 

I want to have a good month money wise, and I think we can probably knock more off the mortgage if we're disciplined. Or maybe stick a bit extra on utility bill as a buffer, or keep some back as a nursery buffer. Fun times haha. 

Finally bought a home
    2.1K Posts
    Forumite
    So much for not spending. Just seen this and the tray that attaches https://direct.asda.com/george/baby/highchairs/alpha-natural-highchair/050084188,default,pd.html?cgid=D5M16G1C4.

It's the cheapest I've ever seen it so I think I maybe need to just bite the bullet. His current one only goes to 15kg. It's just about managing when he is upright, but it is struggling to hold his weight when it is flat or slightly laid back now (he naps in it because DH is working in what is his bedroom. Covid joy). Really he does need a new one, and I want this because it will take adult weight so he can't physically outgrow it. I've looked for a second hand one but there is nothing close and they're all close to new price anyway. 

Bah!
    Finally bought a home
  • savingholmessavingholmes Forumite
    20K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Hi Nichelette - hope the pay gets resolved in your favour.

On the chair - it sounds like you'll be able to sell when you're done for around what you paid - so go for it.
    Target 1) Debt free April 22 Target 2) Lose weight & get fit (started) 3) Write regularly 41426/70000 words Book 2 4) Develop passive income streams 5) Get to £3K EF (at £2.2K June 22) 6) Declutter 7) MFW starting at £201999 Nov 21 with 264 257 payments to go. Now £196,869. 8) Mortgage neutral progress (via private pension starting value c£3643 Nov 21) extra payments £312 including tax relief
    2.1K Posts
    Forumite
    Hi Nichelette - hope the pay gets resolved in your favour.

On the chair - it sounds like you'll be able to sell when you're done for around what you paid - so go for it.
    I did it in the end. I really wanted to have a low spendy month as I'd like to take more off the mortgage, but it is something he does need replaced so I've just done it. He took his first steps today. I don't think I'm ready for a walker! I'm quite surprised because he took forever to roll, but he has a one track mind and only ever wants to be standing now. He's exactly 10 months and 10 days so it's easy to remember! His dad is very active and can't stay still. He lived for football right from a little kid until his knee was injured so badly at 33 that he had to stop playing (he's still gutted about it) so I wonder is chunky might be the same. 

Today's spends are 60p for two packs of paracetamol. Hoping that will be it for the day. I'm (actually seeing :open_mouth:) the dr tomorrow because my eczema has been awful for months so I think I'll have to pay for more steroids tomorrow. Feel like a bit of a fraud as it has been awful for so long I eventually caved and contacted them, but it now seems to be improving as it takes about 10 days to get a phone call. I still think I could do with steroids though. 
    Finally bought a home
  • savingholmessavingholmes Forumite
    20K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Great news on first steps. First anythings are exciting... Batton down the hatches... 

I'd get the cream anyway.
    Target 1) Debt free April 22 Target 2) Lose weight & get fit (started) 3) Write regularly 41426/70000 words Book 2 4) Develop passive income streams 5) Get to £3K EF (at £2.2K June 22) 6) Declutter 7) MFW starting at £201999 Nov 21 with 264 257 payments to go. Now £196,869. 8) Mortgage neutral progress (via private pension starting value c£3643 Nov 21) extra payments £312 including tax relief
    2.1K Posts
    Forumite
    It's very exciting to have him beginning to move about properly. My back will be very happy because I'm crippled at the moment 😂. Going to have a little joint party for family in April which will actually be on my dad's birthday as it is two days after chunkies. He was 60 last year but I missed it because I was still in hospital. Hoping weather is nice because we don't have loads of space and it would be a lot easier if we can use the garden. April is a funny month like mine in May and it can go either way.

Food spend currently good at £40.65. Would be better if DH didn't keep picking up stuff on his travels. It's good he's picking up bargains but my freezer is groaning and he really needs to stop!

Vanguard currently -6.85% (thanks Russia). Not bothered because it is for long term but mildly annoying. At least I'm buying cheap now 😂.

Still need to get Mot booked... 
    Finally bought a home
  • edited 23 February at 1:46PM
    South_coastSouth_coast Forumite
    3.5K Posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 23 February at 1:46PM
    I keep buying more at the minute because I think at least I'm buying cheap, but then it continues to drop further 🤦‍♀️!
    Mortgage start: £65,495 (March 2016)
    Cleared 🧚‍♀️🧚‍♀️🧚‍♀️!!! In 5 years, 1 month and 29 days
    Total amount repaid: £72,307.03

Finally earning interest instead of paying it!!!