PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

housing benefit and high earner mortgage

Options
Just started process of applying for a mortgage. I live on my own and receive housing benefit due to my illness. My fiance lives elsewhere and is a high earner. We are applying for a joint mortgage which he will pay for and I will give up my flat and housing benefit. We plan to marry next year. One lender told us they cannot accept our joint application because I'm in receipt of housing benefit even though my fiance earns £85k per year.  What is the best thing we can do to get this mortgage? Should I cancel my housing benefit? 

Comments

• Getting_greyer
    Options
    I'm happy to be corrected on this but you wouldn't be in possession of HB after completion?  So couldn't a broker just state that on an application?
  • haras_n0sirrah
    Options
    We wouldn't include housing benefit on the application so it wouldn't matter if you are receiving it now - we would just ignore it
  • rik111
    rik111 Posts: 367 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Why not just get a mortgage in the earners name ? I got a mortgage just in my name purely because we couldn’t be arsed or needed to have it in joint names, didn’t need my other half’s income. House is still in joint names.........
  • novicia
    Options
    I'm happy to be corrected on this but you wouldn't be in possession of HB after completion?  So couldn't a broker just state that on an application?
    Thats what I said but they said they simply do not accept applicants that currently receive hb. Even though I won't be claiming when I move.
  • novicia
    Options
    rik111 said:
    Why not just get a mortgage in the earners name ? I got a mortgage just in my name purely because we couldn’t be arsed or needed to have it in joint names, didn’t need my other half’s income. House is still in joint names.........
    So your partner owns half the house? Did you put them as a dependant?
    Was told we had to do joint or be a dependent. 
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    novicia said:

So your partner owns half the house? Did you put them as a dependant?
    Was told we had to do joint or be a dependent. 
     But until you actually move in together, ie after the house is bought, you are not a dependent 
  • haras_n0sirrah
    Options
    novicia said:
    Thats what I said but they said they simply do not accept applicants that currently receive hb. Even though I won't be claiming when I move.
    If one lender has said no then either speak to a broker who will know which lenders are ok with the scenario and can place you with a different lender or  contact different lenders yourself. Out of interest which lender did you speak to? If you want to speak to a broker and don't have one then some of us who post here are independent brokers and we are identifiable by our signatures. We are not allowed to approach posters but most of us are happy to respond to pm's asking for help 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback