Buyer trying to cancel after item already posted...

Options
Sold an item on Ebay last night and posted it lunchtime today. After posting I sent my usual message to let the buyer know it had been posted and marked it as despatched (thankfully!). Buyer obviously hadn’t actually read my message as has responded saying they’re trying to cancel from their end but it won’t let them so can I cancel it from my end. I’ve replied politely saying sorry but as it’s already been posted I’m unable to cancel.

Does anyone know if there’s anything else I should be doing in this situation? I have proof of postage and “no returns accepted” marked on my listing. If it makes any difference I’m just a private seller getting rid of some junk, not a business seller, and the buyer has nearly 400 feedback so not an Ebay newbie.

Comments

• Spoonie_Turtle
    Spoonie_Turtle Posts: 8,477 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 21 October 2020 at 4:24PM
    Options
    In this case it might be best to accept a return if they ask to. You'll be out of pocket much less than if they fraudulently open a SNAD case and you end up having to pay for the return postage as well as the refund. Unfortunately the PayPal fees are unrecoverable.

You might be fortunate that they're an honest buyer who just accepts they made a mistake and leave it at that, but it's best to be prepared.
  • fenwick458
    fenwick458 Posts: 1,522 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    this happened to this year. I posted the item about 10 mins after it had sold as I was just on my way out. the buyer said they wanted to cancel later that day, and I said sorry it's been sent, and provided a pic of the receipt from the PO. they still weren't' happy and opened a case on ebay. I simply stated my case, and in the end ebay said the seller had to send it back to me, and I had to refund it once i'd received it. the buyer then decided to keep it and closed the case.
    TBH I did think they were just trying it on
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure