First Post First Anniversary
edited 22 October 2020 at 10:05PM in Credit cards
-post removed

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,879 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Maybe you need to re-think your strategy somewhat, why not post your SOA on the debt free wannabe forum, as 35k of credit card debt needs more than just balance transfers.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • floppydisk1
    floppydisk1 Posts: 184 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 21 October 2020 at 2:38AM
    Options
    Most importantly - stop living beyond your means.  It takes some time and effort to work through 35k and it takes a whole lot more time and effort to work your way out of it. You don't have credit card question or problem - you are in serious debt.  As for strategies - the best strategy is to spend less and pay up as much as you can.  First - do not use your credit cards , either cut them up or give them to someone you can trust to hide them away from you. If you want to keep your credit file intact - it is already hurt as every new lender can see your debts anyway - and have decent salary as mentioned , cut everything ( and I DO mean everything ) that is not necessary ( takeaways, new clothes , holidays ...) for next few years and pay mortgage or rent, council tax and bills, food and pretty much everything else throw at your debt.  It takes discipline but it's important to overpay as much as you possibly can from the day 1, as interest is calculated daily and the higher the amount, the more you save by overpaying it as much as you can, so you can pay actual debt faster, not higher interest rates for longer. It works the same way as mortgage overpayment ,but  as card or loan interest % is much higher, you overpayment is even more important to get the total amount down faster .  As long as credit card companies  said no to your request you have 2 options :
    1  you noticed it might not be possible - get a  0 % balance transfer or a loan for whole amount ( or as much as you can, the more the merrier ) , ideally from your own bank as they can see decent salary coming in - % of interest will be lower than even your cheapest credit card and by some margin 
    2  if above is not possible and you can afford more than minimum repayment - pay minimum to all and every card or loan and then everything you have to the most expensive card, once that is cleared move to the next most expensive and work your way down.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback