PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Is the estate agent being unreasonable?

Options
amandacat
amandacat Posts: 573 Forumite
First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
edited 19 October 2020 at 6:23PM in House buying, renting & selling
Hi all. My house went on the market and I had an asking price offer immediately, which the EA encouraged me to accept. I can understand the rationale because there are houses priced at 5k more than mine in the area that are slightly bigger and have been on the market for months. However, it did cross my mind that we had 7 subsequent viewings cancelled and perhaps the EA should have encouraged us to allow these to go ahead. They are charging a fixed price due to accidentally quoting us a wrong % in an email, which was much lower than they normally charge but they honoured this by stating they would give us the lower % of the asking price. It never dawned on me until now that getting a higher offer wasn't in their interest.

I had already explained to the EA before it went to market that we are relocating 7 hours away and once it was sale agreed we would need a couple of weeks to find a new property because of the distance and needing to organise time off work. When she encouraged us to accept the offer, she told us that she had explained this to them and they were happy with that. I had also explained that we had considered going in to rented but the area we are moving to has rentals snapped up within hours and none seem to accept pets so this didn't look like an option to us.

I sent an email following the offer letter to the EA, confirming the date in 2 weeks time (first days we could get off work) that we are going to view and hopefully agree to buy a property.

However, today she has told us that our buyer is in a chain, not massive, someone buying their property and then them buying ours. She has asked us if we will move into rental to break the chain. I am a little annoyed to say the least after this was previously communicated as not an option. I have emailed her to say that no rental isn't an option and we will have to look for a new buyer if they are not prepared to wait 2 weeks (although not sure if the pressure is coming from the buyer or EA) but it only went sale agreed 3 days ago. I am not sure if I am being unreasonable or the EA?

Comments

• Beeboo23
    Beeboo23 Posts: 200 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    They found you an immediate asking price offer and asked if you’d be willing to go into rented? Also incorrectly offered you a lower fee but honoured it anyway. I wouldn’t say that’s unreasonable. 
    If you didn’t want to accept the offer/go into rented you could/can say no. 
    Debt free October 2020 🎉

FTB 12 2020 🥳

Life happens fund £10000/£10000 filled 11/22

Investing towards my first 10k (done Jan 24)

now working towards first 25k
    10,300/25,000
  • Slithery
    Slithery Posts: 6,046 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 19 October 2020 at 6:31PM
    Options
    The EA asked, you declined.
    Neither of you are being unreasonable.

• greatcrested
    greatcrested Posts: 5,925 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    No one is being unreasonable.
    However you need to ignore the EA toalarge extent and simply decide what you want to do. It's your property. You sell or not to who you choose, in the timescale you choose, and you move to rented if you choose to.
    Make a decision and instruct your EA accordingly.
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,830 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 19 October 2020 at 6:51PM
    Options
    I think the only slightly unreasonable thing was cancelling the viewings.  I'm not sure how amazing your buyer is, but it's possible that you could have found a better one, even at the same price.  Like someone without a chain, a smaller chain or a really low LTV.  

It doesn't hurt to hold the initial viewings.  It would have made good sense to hold them all in immediate succession. 
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • amandacat
    amandacat Posts: 573 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I’ve been told my buyer is downsizing and a sure bet but obviously I’m also relying on their buyer. 
    I’m probably frustrated because renting was my first option but since covid, rentals are hard to come by in that area and I’m under pressure to buy/settle for my next purchase. It’s just annoying that EAs will tell you anything to get you to list with them but then change their tune once you’ve signed with them. Also perhaps in my own excitement at getting asking price, I am telling myself I should’ve pushed for the other viewings to go ahead. 
    I’m aiming to buy a chain free property and there seems to be a lot about where I’m moving to. 
    I’m probably stressing myself unnecessarily. Thanks for the feedback both positive and constructive- it’s always useful to hear both.  
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I agree with Doozergirl. Those viewings should have gone ahead. Imagine your buyer pulls out. You could have had a buyer waiting in the wings to snap it up. You may have received a higher offer. Possibly a bidding war. A sensible buyer whose not pushy pushy. Fact is you dont know. 

Your sale, your decision and moving into rented is a big decision and a major inconvenience not to be thought of lightly especially having pets. The only benefit I can see for you though is being in your new area, feeling out places to live etc whilst only in rented. That could benefit you. Also not being in a chain. Its a double edged sword that only you can weigh up the pros and cons for you and then decide and instruct the agent accordingly. Just dont be bullied into anything 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback