PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Social Housing bidding & Offer

Options
After 2 years in temporary accommodation and support from my MP I’ve now been offered a flat through social housing . I am obviously over the moon. The property wasn’t ready to view straight away and have waited a month for the workmen to finish. It’s ready this Friday to sign and pay my deposit 
BUT............ Whilst waiting I’m still able to bid each week on the Jig Saw bidding system online, but Housing needs “BYPASS” my bid every time the bidding week finishes.
My dream is and has always been to have a bungalow as having a mobility problem I would be able to sit and enjoy my garden in my own privacy. I know living in a flat I wouldn’t feel comfortable in a communal garden. Last week I placed a bid and came 1st out of 220 people
Again it was BYPASSED so I rang housing needs.
I explained that if I’m able to still bid then I must have a fair chance like everyone else and be given a viewing for the bungalow 
I am concerned that if I view the bungalow before Friday as it’s ready now would my name be removed from the flat that I’m meant to be viewing and signing for this Friday. I don’t want to come across ungrateful because this is a dream come true
My MP got involved due to the councils errors they had made on my application process. Being disabled and being discriminated against by housing needs My experience in temporary accommodation has caused me terrible depression to the point I started self harming.
I now see on Jig Saw bidding system that the BYPASS has been removed from my bid on the bungalow. Housing needs told me this morning it’s up to the landlord who will get a viewing. If I’m 1st then I’m eligible surely. 
Why does the council still allow bidding each week if you are offered a property, what’s the point in them keep BYPASSING my bid since this offer of a flat. 
Will it go against me if I now show interest in this bungalow that I came final position for. I feel so unsettled and unsure how this will all work out. I’m in Band 1 so I know they are very eager to house me and especially with my MP finding out how I’ve been treated by housing needs
advice needed

thank you 
Adele xxx

:T:T Adele:T:T

Comments

• Morglin
    Morglin Posts: 15,920 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    It’s a bit confusing here, and you first need to clarify with Housing Needs who the landlord of the bungalow is.  As it’s social housing, I would imagine it’s a Housing Association?

If so, either you or Housing Needs can contact them, directly,  to find out who they are accepting as first prospective tenant to view/sign.    If it’s not a HA, then Housing Needs should help you to see if the landlord is accepting you or not as first bidder.

If the bypass has been removed, and you are still number 1, then, generally, it would be you.

If it is you, then view the bungalow as soon as they can arrange it, and sign up.  Then just forget the flat, and the landlords can put it back up for bidding/allocation.

If it’s not you, for whatever reason, you probably would be best proceeding with the flat.

Give Housing Needs a call today, and find out who the landlord of the bungalow is.
    You can tell a lot about a woman by her hands..........for instance, if they are placed around your throat, she's probably slightly upset. ;)
  • Chandler85
    Options
    Jigsaw is the housing association here, I'm not 100% sure why the OP has used capitals on when typing "Housing needs", I assume this is a typo.
    To the OP, you have been provisionally reserved for a property, so you effectively cannot bid on the housing.  They haven't removed you because you may view the flat and it may not be appropriate, so you might decide to refuse it.  Most housing associations let you refuse 1 property, maybe 2 properties before you have to accept the offer, basically 2 or 3 chances then you have to take the property or get removed from the list.
    Currently you haven't refused a property, so are still very high on the list because you might refuse the flat (if you are allowed), but you can't bid on a property and effectively reserve 2 properties to have a quick look around and decide, hence you are being bypassed.  If you refuse the property, you would keep your spot and not need to re-register or re-open the application, and then someone has to manually adjust your points/ position.
  • annabanana82
    annabanana82 Posts: 3,025 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Being number 1 is no guarantee to being offered a viewing of a property. One house we were number 1 until the final 30 minutes, house went to someone with a priority ticket.
    The house we eventually got we were number 3, the housing officer knew that there were lots of drug problems where we were living at the time and bought us forward to be offered the house. 
    Make £2023 in 2023 (#36) £3479.30/£2023

Make £2024 in 2024...
  • Morglin
    Options
    Ah, we rent this from Clarion (although it wasn’t Clarion then), and we reached number 1, and were automatically offered first viewing and first option on signing up.

Perhaps it’s changed in 12 years.
    You can tell a lot about a woman by her hands..........for instance, if they are placed around your throat, she's probably slightly upset. ;)
  • AdeleLisa
    Options
    Thank yet Thank you for all your messages! The council are very good at never giving a clear answer. I have sent 3 emails now to Housing needs, I asked why when I came 1st was I “bypassed” there reply was “we have a bug in the system” Hmmmmm, the bypass was removed and hey hoo its back again. 
    The Bungalow is owned by Cross Keys which is a housing occasion. The flat is also with the same people. Time is getting on now and with Friday approaching when I’m meant to be viewing and signing for the flat I’m very worried a decision will still not of been made regarding coming 1st on the other property.
    i email Cross Keys today asking to confirm Fridays. viewing and times. I’ve never experienced replies to emails that I’ve sent requesting information with so little information returned.
    Im now cluttered with numerous packed box’s in my small room not knowing a dam thing. I need to sort a removals van etc, so I shell wait till tomorrow to see if I’m told anything
    To be honest I feel I should forget the Bungalow now. I can’t let this opportunity of finally being moved. My health is deteriorating badly living in these conditions. 
    Thank you again to you all xxx
    :T:T Adele:T:T
  • mumbythesea
    Options
    with the bidding system once you have been offered one property you can't effectively hold on to the first offer but then bid on other things , thats why you were bypassed at it would come up  on the system you have already been offered elsewhere hence the bypass , like if you buy a property once you decide on something  stop looking you'll only drive yourself crazy  with what if BUT if the offer isn't what you really want then i would decline it as you will be there a long time as its so difficult to move within social housing nigh impossible in fact , so just be really sure you'll be happy with it and good luck!
  • Morglin
    Options
    AdeleLisa said:
    Thank yet Thank you for all your messages! The council are very good at never giving a clear answer. I have sent 3 emails now to Housing needs, I asked why when I came 1st was I “bypassed” there reply was “we have a bug in the system” Hmmmmm, the bypass was removed and hey hoo its back again. 
    The Bungalow is owned by Cross Keys which is a housing occasion. The flat is also with the same people. Time is getting on now and with Friday approaching when I’m meant to be viewing and signing for the flat I’m very worried a decision will still not of been made regarding coming 1st on the other property.
    i email Cross Keys today asking to confirm Fridays. viewing and times. I’ve never experienced replies to emails that I’ve sent requesting information with so little information returned.
    Im now cluttered with numerous packed box’s in my small room not knowing a dam thing. I need to sort a removals van etc, so I shell wait till tomorrow to see if I’m told anything
    To be honest I feel I should forget the Bungalow now. I can’t let this opportunity of finally being moved. My health is deteriorating badly living in these conditions. 
    Thank you again to you all xxx
    Could you not try phoning Cross Keys, instead of emailing?  You might get a quicker answer.  😊
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback