Chipboard

Options
I have some sheets of stored chipboard which was moved and unfortunately got wet at the bottom from a leaking shed - they have now been moved - how do I stop them swelling when drying?

Comments

• Ebe_Scrooge
    Ebe_Scrooge Posts: 7,320 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    In my experience, once chipboard has got wet it's had it - there's not much you can do to "put it back together again".  Your best bet is to cut off the damaged parts and chuck them away, hopefully you'll then be left with at least some useable chunks.

You could try sandwiching the damaged parts between two other sheets of wood and clamping it tightly then leave it to dry - I guess there's nothing lost by trying.  But I wouldn't hold out too much hope to be honest.
  • Jeepers_Creepers
    Options
    As Ebe says.

What's the chipboard to be used for? If nothing too 'structural' - such as flooring - then once dry you can plane off the swollen bits to get them level and continue to use the boards - in the knowledge that the 'swollen' parts will not be as strong. 

It really depends on the planned use, and just how badly affected the wet bits are. But, as Ebe says, it'll never be the same. 
  • aardvaak
    aardvaak Posts: 5,833 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    As Ebe says.

What's the chipboard to be used for? If nothing too 'structural' - such as flooring - then once dry you can plane off the swollen bits to get them level and continue to use the boards - in the knowledge that the 'swollen' parts will not be as strong. 

It really depends on the planned use, and just how badly affected the wet bits are. But, as Ebe says, it'll never be the same. 
    Future use unknown at present but certainly not structural possible backing of a box or something
  • Homer_home
    Options
    Ah so you have stored it in the hope that one day you will have use for it....

My advice bin it and buy fresh when and if you do need some chipboard 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure