Not a bad idea, right?

Options
I made a thread a few months ago about opening a S&S ISA, but since then circumstances have changed.......

In a nutshell I'm 67, retired and living off a small pension, plus state pension. I have savings of around £100k earning around 1% in various banks and building societies.

I recently received an unexpected windfall of £40k. Don't particularly need it in the near future as I have a safe back-up with the above-mentioned savings. Never having had an ISA before, I thought of opening one with iweb and putting in £10k each to Vanguard LS60 and HSBC Global Strategy Balanced, during this current tax year. The remaining £20k from the windfall I could put into an easy access account until April 2021 and then add it to the two funds in the ISA. By then I'd have £40k invested in the ISA and would be happy to keep it there for approx 10 years.

Investing is new to me and I'm quite risk-averse. I wish I could have done more years ago. But I didn't. One cannot turn the clocks back, apart from the maximum of one hour next week!

Comments

• msallen
    msallen Posts: 1,494 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Seems fair enough to me. I assume you've weighed up the various levels of potential risk/reward of funds to arrive those choices and are going in with your eyes open.
  • threlkeld53
    Options
    msallen said:
    Seems fair enough to me. I assume you've weighed up the various levels of potential risk/reward of funds to arrive those choices and are going in with your eyes open.
    Yes I have, thanks.
    Both funds are made up with about 60% in equities which I feel comfortable with, rather than going for the riskier VLS80 or VLS100. I'm also aware that the Vanguard LifeStrategies have more weight in this country compared to HSBC. 
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,269 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Also VLS funds have a fixed % equity whereas as the HSBC fund is risk targeted , so another reason to have both just to average out performance .
  • AlanP_2
    AlanP_2 Posts: 3,256 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Are you putting £2880 nett into a pension and benefitting from the £720 HMRC top it up by to arrive at £3600 gross?

25% tax free on withdrawal which means if you pay income tax on it the effective rate is 15% giving you a 6.25% overall return.

Can be done each year until Age 75.
  • threlkeld53
    Options
    AlanP_2 said:
    Are you putting £2880 nett into a pension and benefitting from the £720 HMRC top it up by to arrive at £3600 gross?

25% tax free on withdrawal which means if you pay income tax on it the effective rate is 15% giving you a 6.25% overall return.

Can be done each year until Age 75.
    Yes I am indeed!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport