Applying for bankruptcy

Options

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,884 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 18 October 2020 at 1:52PM
    Options
    Stepchange, or any other free advice centre, can only advise on what they think is the best solution for you.
    In your case, its a 20 year DMP or Bankrupcy, the only other option would be IVA, but as you have no assets to protect, its not really an option, you may as well go bankrupt instead.
    However, lets look at this logically, you only have 3 credit card debts and one loan, all are non priority debts, you could just pay £1 each per month indefinitly, going bankrupt would rid you of your debt, but your disposable income would remain the same, and an IPA would be made don`t forget, if you don`t have the money to service the debt, then theres not a lot anyone can do about it really.

You could write and tell your creditors your situation, see how they react, just pay the £1 per month each, see how that goes, save up the bankrupcy fee just in case a CCJ or two come your way, then go bankrupt if no other choice to avoid attachment to earnings etc.
    What i`m trying to say is there is no rush, debt collection takes a long time, months, even years from now, they may not have taken further action.
    Can i ask, have you done CCA requests ? how old are your debts ?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Stanton14
    Options
    Stepchange, or any other free advice centre, can only advise on what they think is the best solution for you.
    In your case, its a 20 year DMP or Bankrupcy, the only other option would be IVA, but as you have no assets to protect, its not really an option, you may as well go bankrupt instead.
    However, lets look at this logically, you only have 3 credit card debts and one loan, all are non priority debts, you could just pay £1 each per month indefinitly, going bankrupt would rid you of your debt, but your disposable income would remain the same, and an IPA would be made don`t forget, if you don`t have the money to service the debt, then theres not a lot anyone can do about it really.

You could write and tell your creditors your situation, see how they react, just pay the £1 per month each, see how that goes, save up the bankrupcy fee just in case a CCJ or two come your way, then go bankrupt if no other choice to avoid attachment to earnings etc.
    What i`m trying to say is there is no rush, debt collection takes a long time, months, even years from now, they may not have taken further action.
    Can i ask, have you done CCA requests ? how old are your debts ?
    So the fee isn’t a problem as a family member is prepared to gift it to me if I chose this route. 
    Sorry, I’ve not heard of CCA requests? My debts are only 4 or 5 years old.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,884 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Well it requires work on your part, and will drag out your predicamant, if its closure you want, then bankrupcy is probebly the route to that end.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Stanton14
    Options
    Well it requires work on your part, and will drag out your predicamant, if its closure you want, then bankrupcy is probebly the route to that end.
    Thank you for the advice. Do you know of a thread on here that I could read through to answer any questions and prepare myself? Thanks again
  • sammyjammy
    sammyjammy Posts: 7,389 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options

Stanton14 said:
    Thank you for the advice. Do you know of a thread on here that I could read through to answer any questions and prepare myself? Thanks again
    Just post your question on this thread, keeps everything in one place and peoples circumstances are so different its tricky to answer generic questions.
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,500 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    edited 20 October 2020 at 8:14AM
    Options
    Stanton14 said:
    fatbelly said:
    You said your partner left but you have put your household as 2 adults?
    So I now live with a house mate, but everything I put down is my half of the rent and bills. 
    Household is one adult then. And the groceries figure of £200 would be OK in bankruptcy
  • fatbelly
    Options
    Sometimes dragging your heels a bit while you get your ducks in a row, isn't a bad thing.
    There is a similar £1000 rule in DROs but there you can't (or it would be silly to) submit the application unless the car is worth under £1000.
    Cars depreciate around 30% per year so there have been several occasions where I've put an application on hold and just watched the valuation figure until it dips under £1k.

• fatbelly
    Options
    Did you press the submit button?

If you've submitted the application today, you should hear from the adjudicator tomorrow.

What are you thinking/hoping for with the car?
  • dawd999
    dawd999 Posts: 20 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Hi all some help needed please i applied for BR yesterday had it approved today. I beleive the OR will het in touch with me. How is the OR? If anyone has recent experience with an OR i have anxiety and im already panicking.

Thanks in advance xx
  • es5595
    es5595 Posts: 380 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Someone will be here soon who knows more, but if you read through others threads who were anxious about their OR “interview” it was much more of a quick chat and really nothing to worry about. Please don’t panic, it’s literally an easy phone conversation and they’ll want to clarify any points they are unsure about, but it’s not a hard-nosed interview or anything of the sort for your case. 
    Did you sort out the car? What was the Parker’s valuation? 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback