Forum Home» Credit Cards

How many credit cards can I have?

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

How many credit cards can I have?

37 replies 1.4K views
I already have a Barclaycard and Paypal credit and looking into getting another one or two credit cards. I ALWAYS pay my balance off straight away or use the interest-free period offer. I shop at Amazon a lot (about 50-100 pounds a month) and wondering if it makes sense for me to take out the Amazon credit card, as not only I'll get a voucher, but I'll also earn bonus points eventually (not a lot but still!)
I'd also like to take out a 20-month interest-free credit card to spread out a big purchase of £1000 I'm planning, so that would make it 4 credit cards.
Is that too many cards? That would of course mean that some cards won't have much going through them, like up to 100 pounds a month, is that ok?
I'm confident that I can manage all my payments and finances and view this opportunity as building my credit rating and also spreading out purchases + earning some bonus points while doing it :) 
Thanks in advance!

Replies

• edited 15 October at 11:55AM
    zx81zx81 Forumite
    30K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 15 October at 11:55AM
    You can have as many as lenders are prepared to offer you.

That may be two, or somewhere in the high teens.
  • D3xt3r5L4bD3xt3r5L4b Forumite
    1.8K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    3-4 is the minimum you should have
  • dreamvendourdreamvendour Forumite
    13 posts
    Name Dropper First Post
    Can I ask why? Is it because it will help my credit rating?
  • zx81zx81 Forumite
    30K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. 

Because it shows that lenders trust you and gives you back ups for when other cards are rejected or closed.
    1.8K posts
    ✭✭✭
    It will help with your credit history as well as showing lenders you can use credit responsibly. 
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • dr_adidas01dr_adidas01 Forumite
    1.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭

Why is this the minimum?  I kinda feel like I have to many now with having 8
    Time is a path from the past to the future and back again. The present is the crossroads of both. :cool:
  • willmoacwillmoac Forumite
    2 posts
    Ninth Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    MoneySaving Newbie
    You can have as many as lenders will let you.
    BUT I got burnt a few years ago, I had around 10, some were balance transfer cards other regular cards.
    I became ill, and whilst I had the money available to pay the monthly amount for the balance transfer cards and the income for the regular cards. I was unable to manage it myself, result was getting into default on a few of them. Purely a case of too many plates spinning.
    Since then I reduced to 2, a low cost card for foreign travel, and a loyalty MasterCard for a hotel rewards scheme. I have this year increased to 3 by adding an Amex which offers better benefits for the same hotel rewards scheme than the MasterCard.
    However I just use these 3 cards for spending and always pay them off in full.
  • MallyGirlMallyGirl Forumite, Board Guide
    5.1K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Intrepid Forum Explorer
    ✭✭✭✭
    and you can set up a direct debit so you don't get caught out not paying in time
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-free Wannabe, Loans & Credit Cards boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to [email protected]moneysavingexpert.com
    Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
    1.8K posts
    ✭✭✭

Why is this the minimum?  I kinda feel like I have to many now with having 8
    Cover all basis. One visa, one MasterCard, one Amex..
  • Paully28Paully28 Forumite
    216 posts
    100 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    You can have as many as you want, and I for one, would recommend the Amazon card if you spend at Amazon as much as you say. I have one and the points seem to rack up quite quickly, and they send you vouchers without request.