Moorcroft Debt Recovery incorrect letters being sent

Options
HI, I hope I am posting this in the right place. 
My elderly mother has started receiving letters addressed to her address but with a non existent name on it. 2 girls names, not a first and last name, so its like Mary Louise. She had been returning to sender for a while but opened one with the rest of her post one day and was horrified to see it was from Moorcroft Debt recovery. She has no debt and this is not her name but it is her address. I'm uncertain what to do. She's not going to be able to deal with them on the phone on her own, I'm worried they will send someone to the house. I'm not sure what they will need to make them realise they have the wrong person and to leave her alone. I'm happy to write letters or make the phone calls to sort this.  Does anyone have any thoughts on what we should do? Anything appreciated. 
Thanks in advance. 

Comments

• bradders1983
    bradders1983 Posts: 5,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 14 October 2020 at 10:52AM
    Options
    Return everything as not known at this address. Open nothing else. No harm in a phone call in the interim but they may not act on it.

Even if the very small likeihood they did send someone round she presumable can prove who she is?
  • Malkytheheed
    Options
    No harm in a phone call in the interim
    I absolutely would not engage in conversation with them. They are bullies and will try and extract money under any circumstance. Just keep returning them "not at this address". they will stop soon. Don't worry, it cant effect your mothers credit history. 
  • bradders1983
    edited 14 October 2020 at 3:22PM
    Options
    I doubt the OP is worried about her credit history, more worried about people turning up and his mother letting them in, but even then she can prove who she is no doubt.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,966 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 14 October 2020 at 7:10PM
    Options
    Moorcroft don`t knock on doors, they are a small operation run from a base in stockport, all you will get are letters and phone calls.

They just act on behalf of client banks, do as advised and mark the letters "not at this address", but all they will do is return the account to the original creditor.

You may get letters from another DCA next, if so a more forceful responce will be called for.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • creativity910
    Options
    I doubt the OP is worried about her credit history, more worried about people turning up and his mother letting them in, but even then she can prove who she is no doubt.
    yes she can totally prove who she is but may be afraid and confused and I couldn't blame her for that. If it doesn't affect her credit history, could it show as a bad debt at the address though?
  • bradders1983
    edited 14 October 2020 at 7:39PM
    Options
    Credit files dont work like that. If I had a lodger up to his eyes in debt it wouldnt be linked to me one iota.
  • creativity910
    Options
    Moorcroft don`t knock on doors, they are a small operation run from a base in stockport, all you will get are letters and phone calls.

They just act on behalf of client banks, do as advised and mark the letters "not at this address", but all they will do is return the account to the original creditor.

You may get letters from another DCA next, if so a more forceful responce will be called for.
    thank you that is reassuring but if another DCA get in touch   I will post again and get advice on the more forceful response :) 
  • creativity910
    Options
    No harm in a phone call in the interim
    I absolutely would not engage in conversation with them. They are bullies and will try and extract money under any circumstance. Just keep returning them "not at this address". they will stop soon. Don't worry, it cant effect your mothers credit history. 
    thanks, I'll make sure that she keeps on doing it. 
  • creativity910
    Options
    Return everything as not known at this address. Open nothing else. No harm in a phone call in the interim but they may not act on it.

Even if the very small likeihood they did send someone round she presumable can prove who she is?
    thanks
  • Yahoo_Mail
    Options

Don't do this, it's a waste of ink, your time, and Royal Mail's resources.
    Throw them in the bin.  Or if you want to be environmentally friendly, shred them and throw the strips in your paper recycling bin.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback