Fraud Selling Home In France

My parents in June sold their house in France. The French Notaire was hacked and their house sale money was transferred to a UK Bank account not in their name and obviously not theirs!
They have appointed a French Solicitor who are liaising with the Notaire, the solicitor seems to be reactive rather than pro active. The French Insurance company just seem to be making excuses not to pay out. ie. they are waiting to find out whether the UK bank will reimburse them.
The uk bank have confirmed that the account the money was sent to was not in my parents name. 

Four months down the road and they are no closer to knowing whether they will get their money!
As my parents are not the direct victim of the fraud the French Notaires are. Could any body advise or have had experience of a silimilar situation as to what route my parents could take if the French Insurance company decide not to pay out. Could they request the money from the UK Bank that the fraudsters had the money sent to?
If they sue the Notaires this could take years which really does not help my parents at the present time as they are having to dig deep to rent accommodation.

Thanks In advance!

Comments

• born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,017
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    My parents in June sold their house in France. The French Notaire was hacked and their house sale money was transferred to a UK Bank account not in their name and obviously not theirs!
    They have appointed a French Solicitor who are liaising with the Notaire, the solicitor seems to be reactive rather than pro active. The French Insurance company just seem to be making excuses not to pay out. ie. they are waiting to find out whether the UK bank will reimburse them.
    The uk bank have confirmed that the account the money was sent to was not in my parents name. 

Four months down the road and they are no closer to knowing whether they will get their money!
    As my parents are not the direct victim of the fraud the French Notaires are. Could any body advise or have had experience of a silimilar situation as to what route my parents could take if the French Insurance company decide not to pay out. Could they request the money from the UK Bank that the fraudsters had the money sent to?
    If they sue the Notaires this could take years which really does not help my parents at the present time as they are having to dig deep to rent accommodation.

Thanks In advance!

Your parents are a direct victim as they have lost their money,
    When the UK bank was contacted they should have frozen the account, But odds on that money was moved out very quickly once received. So there will be nothing to reclaim. 
    Tracing after that will take a long time as no doubt it will have been moved many times, often to countries that are not very quick at responding to requests.

Is there no protection scheme with the Notaire to cover issues like this?
    Life in the slow lane
  • Chino
    Chino Posts: 2,029
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    the solicitor seems to be reactive rather than pro active.
    In which case your parents need to appoint a different solicitor. Any solicitor should be actively pursuing the "French Notaire" for the money they're still owed.
  • Thanks for your messages, yes I do believe they need a new solicitor.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback