Overseas NCB

jimjam83
jimjam83 Posts: 69
First Post
Forumite
edited 12 October 2020 at 4:33PM in Insurance & life assurance
Hi all. I have a German license and arrived in the UK last year. I struggled to find car insurance that would take my 9 years NCB into account, as they weren’t earned in the UK. Eventually, I got insured by one of the big companies. My question is, when it comes to renewal will my NCB cert be accepted by a wider number of insurers? Will it say where the NCB were earned?!

Comments

• MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,809
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Your new NCB certificate will say you have X years NCB and the name of the current insurance company, it doesn't detail previous insurance companies.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • I've had this very situation happen to me. In my case, the initial insurer accepted my foreign NCB and at renewal time they sent a document that detailed how much NCB I now had. This included the first UK year as well as my foreign NCB. However as this is now on a letter issued by a UK-insurer, there was no issue having it accepted by other insurers. The letter doesn't state where the NCB was earned, only that you have it. Once you get that letter, as long as it is from a reputable insurer you won't have any more issues.

The other issue for me was how to answer "how long have you held a driving licence?". Some insurers will take into account your foreign license history, whilst a few I found were adamant that they could only accept the period I'd held a UK license. This made it odd when according to them I had 6 months license history but 5 years NCB... needless to say that was an expensive quote which I didn't pursue.
  • Sandtree
    Sandtree Posts: 10,628
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Some insurers, who take a non-standard approach to NCD, will intentionally word their proof of NCD letters to highlight that it is non-standard in the hope that others wont then accept it (ie to create lock in).  If its not a big marketting thing for them though they may just send you a normal NCD proof which doesnt even mention anything unusual about your NCD. 

In practice its down to your next insurer to decide if the evidence is suitable or not but you may find some Quote & Buy systems online have issues with your NCD exceeding how long you have lived in the UK. 
  • jimjam83
    First Post
    Forumite
    I've had this very situation happen to me. In my case, the initial insurer accepted my foreign NCB and at renewal time they sent a document that detailed how much NCB I now had. This included the first UK year as well as my foreign NCB. However as this is now on a letter issued by a UK-insurer, there was no issue having it accepted by other insurers. The letter doesn't state where the NCB was earned, only that you have it. Once you get that letter, as long as it is from a reputable insurer you won't have any more issues.

The other issue for me was how to answer "how long have you held a driving licence?". Some insurers will take into account your foreign license history, whilst a few I found were adamant that they could only accept the period I'd held a UK license. This made it odd when according to them I had 6 months license history but 5 years NCB... needless to say that was an expensive quote which I didn't pursue.
    This is such a relief - thank you!!
  • I returned to the UK last December after 27 years in Germany. Admiral had no problems with the NCB I acquired in Germany. I've since transferred to Saga and it's been absolutely fine.
  • jimjam83
    First Post
    Forumite
    I returned to the UK last December after 27 years in Germany. Admiral had no problems with the NCB I acquired in Germany. I've since transferred to Saga and it's been absolutely fine.
    Thank you so much for this - just got a very competitive quote from Admiral!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.3K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback