🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Does an over payment benefit me?

Options
Hello,
Agreements with my current lender to borrow more have broken down and I may need to look at other lenders
I have the cash to make a 10% over payment now, does it make sense to do that, will I then pay 10% less early repayment charge if I was to move lenders in 2 months time?

Comments

  • Sky_
    Sky_ Posts: 605 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 7 October 2020 at 3:18PM
    Options
    It depends on the terms and conditions of your mortgage.  When I remortgaged before the end of my last deal, to secure a lower fixed rate due to having a much-reduced LTV, I only paid early repayment charge on 90% of the outstanding mortgage--the other 10% was the overpayment allowance.  

    Have you looked at secured loans for the additional amount, rather than moving the whole mortgage?
    2022. 2% MF challenge. £730/3000
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards