Charities board update
Please note, our Forum rules no longer allow the posting of links to personal fundraising or crowdfunding pages, such as JustGiving. You can read the full set of our Forum rules here.

Donations - Cleaning

Options
saker75
saker75 Posts: 343 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
HI all
I've got about ten good quality three piece suits in good condition that I'd like to donate. However, having lost my job, I can't afford to get them all dry cleaned. Do charity shops clean goods before sale or should I try to dispose of them elsewhere? I'm embarrassed not to be able to clean them myself.
Any advice?

Comments

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,087 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I don't know that charity shops would dry clean, unless they have an arrangement with a local company? but they often have a steam cleaner available: would be worth phoning and asking, and would also depend how not clean they are. 

You can also get a dry cleaning kit to use in the tumble drier - google it - I suspect this would freshen more than clean but the adverts say otherwise. I'm sure you wouldn't be able to do ten suits on one kit. 
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,087 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just an update: today I was in my local hospice shop, and they had a sign up to say that all donations were quarantined for 48 hours and then either steamed or wiped with sanitising spray (presumably the former for clothing, the latter for 'hard' items). I didn't notice that in all the shops I went in to, but definitely worth phoning around to ask. 
    Signature removed for peace of mind
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure