We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Awful weather - typical Brits talk

Comments

• Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,199 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Nice photos as usual, if only wildlife would pose nicely

Rosemoor, I bet the recent rain has perked it up, we keep meaning to get along to Wisley, but now they are digging up the A3 for bypass & M25 junction the traffic is supposed to be awful, and it's putting us off, don't want to be stuck in queues forever and no convenient back route rat run either

Supposed to be chance of frost tonight, wouldn't surprise me if, like last night, clear & moonlit, especially as my outside large tomatoes are nearly ripe
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Woolsery
    Woolsery Posts: 1,535 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 16 September 2022 at 10:06AM
    Farway said:
    Rosemoor, I bet the recent rain has perked it up, we keep meaning to get along to Wisley, but now they are digging up the A3 for bypass & M25 junction the traffic is supposed to be awful, and it's putting us off, don't want to be stuck in queues forever and no convenient back route rat run either
    Must admit, we've stayed out of Rosemoor because of the drought and  the tourists. It wasn't very busy on Wednesday, and by 14.30 it had thinned out even more, probably due to HM's journey in Edinburgh being televised. DB was watching and DD2 was there and sending us videos, so I considered our family sufficiently 'involved.' Unlike them, I remember the Coronation in the snow on a 9" screen and standing somewhere very wet to see Princess Margaret's car go by through a sea of legs..... :/
    My Tumbler tomatoes have saved me the bother of culling them by collapsing with mildew, but the self-sown pair in the remains of the polytunnel are doing well. I think I'll fill up the deep beds with garlic now and sow some more chard for the hens. ;)
    Old Nog wouldn't come as close to the town around here, goldfinches, but the rural bridges are a good place to spot them, along with their badly camouflaged Egret cousins. Haven't managed to snap either myself. :)
  • Farway
    Back to watering already, it was pouring down only a few days ago, but I noticed some of the castor oil plants & dahlias in large pots at the front were starting to wilt this morning, I can only assume the rain never got down to the pots because I remember the huge leaves of the CO plants had puddles in them the other day and thinking that would make a nice photo if it stops raining, but never took the photo :'(

While watering, I noticed the self seeded toms in the troughs at the front have small green toms on them, doubt if they will ripen but maybe an Indian summer?

Apart from that no other gardening done, one job to be done today is pop some Balcony Yellow tom seeds in envelope for Woolsery, I have to go to PO tomorrow so may as well get that done at same time

Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,645 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Spotted a heron on my way north once this week. Been doing the return journey almost daily but can only see over the bridge if I'm on the bus, and on the side it's hunting. It's easier when the river is high as it works further out from the bridge.

The emphases this last couple of weeks has been fruit and honey. Both won prizes, although the honey was more successful. It seems our very varied habitats give the apiary a boost.

Also had a chance to look at some of the cornus kousa at I'd previously only seen in bloom; the fruits are fascinating. Might try and post a photo later.

The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • Woolsery
    edited 19 September 2022 at 10:37AM
    Farway said:

Apart from that no other gardening done, one job to be done today is pop some Balcony Yellow tom seeds in envelope for Woolsery, I have to go to PO tomorrow so may as well get that done at same time
    Thanks. o:) I'm still waiting for the Coronilla to do something useful re seeds. It still has flowers. However, if that's a wash-out, I've a few other not-demanding, scatter and leave things that may do instead. There's also a friend in the village who may have had more luck. Always good to spread plants around. ;)
    Looks like quite a settled week ahead that may help me catch up in the garden. I've been up on the polytunnel frame for the past two afternoons, so the metalwork is all there now and the rusty bits swapped out. Tightening-up is tedious and takes an age, but mustn't forget that bit. As the metal parts bed-in, the nuts all need another turn or two. Now for the wood.... :)
    One minor success I've had is with DD2's chillies, which have sat in the remains of the old poly surrounded by stuff all summer. I reckon they'll be harvestable in a month or so. They can go in the conservatory if things turn any colder. Still no frost, but getting close to it . :o

• RAS said:
    Spotted a heron on my way north once this week. Been doing the return journey almost daily but can only see over the bridge if I'm on the bus, and on the side it's hunting. It's easier when the river is high as it works further out from the bridge.

The emphases this last couple of weeks has been fruit and honey. Both won prizes, although the honey was more successful. It seems our very varied habitats give the apiary a boost.

Also had a chance to look at some of the cornus kousa at I'd previously only seen in bloom; the fruits are fascinating. Might try and post a photo later.

I also noticed these fruits this week and discovered that they are edible too so I wondered if anyone had tried them.

They certainly look as though they should taste nice, don't they? These are the chinensis variant.

Food 

Food for all is a necessity.
    Food should not be a merchandise, to be bought and sold as jewels are bought and sold by those who have the money to buy.
    Food is a human necessity, like water and air, and it should be available.

From Pearl S. Buck's To My Daughters, with Love.
  • RAS
    The only written note I found suggests they are edible, with a tough skin and "insipid." I brought a couple back to see if they had seeds, so may let you know later.
  • Farway
    RAS said:
    The only written note I found suggests they are edible, with a tough skin and "insipid." I brought a couple back to see if they had seeds, so may let you know later.
    Same as I found, a big world of difference between edible & palatable, I'm trying to pluck up courage to sample one of the fuchsia seed pods / berries :o

Seeds posted Woolsery, second class so with strikes etc should be in time for Christmas :)

Nice day, sunny & warm in the sunshine, took these hips in the volunteer border, Rugosa, noticed a load of yellowy crab apples growing nearby, a job for next time I'm there with a camera.

• RAS
    My fuschia tastes like a small grape with thinner skin and a slightly dry back-taste. Nice enough that I was checking for them this weekend. I think they only really seem to set here in mid-summer.
  • Woolsery
    Farway said:
    RAS said:

:D
    Seeds posted Woolsery, second class so with strikes etc should be in time for Christmas :)

Nice day, sunny & warm in the sunshine, took these hips in the volunteer border, Rugosa, noticed a load of yellowy crab apples growing nearby, a job for next time I'm there with a camera.

Those are very healthy-looking rugosa leaves and fruits, Farway. :)  Mine have to fight for existence in a dry hedge and never look that good. Whenever I plant seeds from the dark pinks, most still seem to end up white! :'(
    The Vorwerk hens were released among the others at the weekend, or rather they began flying the fence so we gave in gracefully. They're already half way up the pecking order and laying small eggs, so all much as expected.
    Thanks for the seeds. The post here has sometimes worked well and private delivery even better. Last week I ordered some bolts for the polytunnel on an afternoon and they were with me before elevenses the next day! o:)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback