Left degree as not happy but being charged

Looking for some advice. I signed up to an online based degree (part time), but have left after about two months as I was not happy with the lack of communication from the uni and the course itself. 
The university has now said that I have to pay them for the first unit (25% is paid by SF), even though I had nothing marked or had done nothing or had almost no communication from my tutor.

I'm unemployed, and obviously can't pay them. I want to change to a different degree, but because I've 'withdrawn' I still have to pay them for the first unit.

I think they are being completely unresonable.

What can I do to not have to pay, or postpone payment?

Someone said to me that, as it was an online course, and I wasn't satisfied with it that their is a consumer right somewhere  that might help.

Any advice would help.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 2 October 2020 at 7:17AM
    They're being incredibly reasonable.  Being able to get out of the course with just paying for one unit is a great result.

Your only chance of getting it reduced is if you can prove that what was promised has not been delivered.  But being 'unhappy' doesn't count.

If you can't pay in full, agree a repayment plan with them.
  • MalMonroe
    MalMonroe Posts: 5,783
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    ivr123456 said:
    Looking for some advice. I signed up to an online based degree (part time), but have left after about two months as I was not happy with the lack of communication from the uni and the course itself. 
    The university has now said that I have to pay them for the first unit (25% is paid by SF), even though I had nothing marked or had done nothing or had almost no communication from my tutor.

I'm unemployed, and obviously can't pay them. I want to change to a different degree, but because I've 'withdrawn' I still have to pay them for the first unit.

Someone said to me that, as it was an online course, and I wasn't satisfied with it that their is a consumer right somewhere  that might help.

Any advice would help.

You don't say what course it is, or where but it seems that you haven't even tried to talk to anyone running the course at the uni about your dissatisfaction, or wish to leave.

There is a lot of relevant information here from UCAS and it's really helpful for people in situations such as yours. https://!!!!!!/3n6p7AW 

You could change courses, or even change universities - quite a few universities are doing online courses now. It'd be a shame to lose your money as well as the opportunity to study. Two months isn't very long at all to decide you don't like a course. I know because I've done one and I graduated with a 2.1 BA Hons, one of the proudest days of my life. It does take a while to get used to studying but I think it takes time to settle down - certainly longer than just two months. 

Please note - taken from the Forum Rules and amended for my own personal use (with thanks) : It is up to you to investigate, check, double-check and check yet again before you make any decisions or take any action based on any information you glean from any of my posts. Although I do carry out careful research before posting and never intend to mislead or supply out-of-date or incorrect information, please do not rely 100% on what you are reading. Verify everything in order to protect yourself as you are responsible for any action you consequently take.
  • ivr123456 said:

Any advice would help.

Both @Deleted_User and @Malmonroe are right, the college/uni are being incredibly fair, and there are options out there.

First and foremost, the place where your study has put time and effort into recruiting you for that course. Not only that, but they've ploughed resource and materials into you and your course which need to be recovered through Tuition Fees. In addition, it's a place you've taken, and sacrificed that someone else could have taken advantage of.

As it is, the legislation that governs the Student Support framework is on your side. If you had been at Uni even just 5 years ago you'd have been charged for the full year potentially because you'd made a contractual agreement with the provider to attend that course.

Be thankful you're only liable for the first terms payment.

That being said, no one regardless of the typs of creditor can make you pay more than you can afford. If you didn't take a Tuition Fee Loan at the time, then you are directly responsible for payment in which case just speak with their credit control team and make an arrangement based on your income.and expenditure.

Be warned though, it isn't for you to decide what you can or cannot afford to pay, as Creditor, they are entitled to take a reasonable payment from your residual income.

Your post makes it sound like you simply made a bad choice in course of study, but if you genuinely believe the provider has failed to carry out their duties, and you can get peers to verify your claims, it may be worth contacting the OfS for advice as you may have a case for having any charges waived/scrapped.

Good luck.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure