PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Good news from Nationwide: Annual house price growth gathers momentum

Nationwides latest house price report was published this morning:
https://www.nationwide.co.uk/about/house-price-index/headlines

• Annual price growth picked up to 5.0% in September, the highest rate since Sep 2016
  • Prices rose 0.9% month-on-month, after taking account of seasonal factors
  • Most regions saw a pickup in house price growth rates in Q3

Comments

• jimbog
    jimbog Posts: 2,113 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Gather ye rosebuds while ye may
  • Newnoel said:
    Nationwides latest house price report was published this morning:
    https://www.nationwide.co.uk/about/house-price-index/headlines

• Annual price growth picked up to 5.0% in September, the highest rate since Sep 2016
    • Prices rose 0.9% month-on-month, after taking account of seasonal factors
    • Most regions saw a pickup in house price growth rates in Q3
    Are you a landlord? Just wondering why it is good news. Is it good for the economy in general?
  • jimbog said:
    The one that has been closed since March?
  • I expect anyone thinking of selling should take the agents top valuation and add 10% at least! Never been a better time to sell with prices so high and so much demand!
    It's odd that there are so many threads on here from people who can't sell, aren't getting offers or those trying to buy but with mortgage valuations coming way under their agreed prices.
    Something doesn't add up to me........
  • Petriix
    Petriix Posts: 2,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Rising house prices aren't particularly good news for most homeowners. It's maybe helpful for some to achieve a better loan to value ratio for a cheaper rate remortgage and I guess if you're downsizing or selling an investment property then you're quids in.

But, for the majority of us people who just own the house we live in, there is no benefit at all. If you want to upsize then higher prices mean a higher differential. And don't forget the millions of renters who are becoming permanently priced out of home ownership.
  • Sibbers123
    Sibbers123 Posts: 324 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 1 October 2020 at 7:02AM
    It’s called a bubble due to SDLT holiday. Any growth in a SDLT holiday period is only temporary. Come March, maybe even January, they will start to come back to pre-Covid levels. 

It’s always happened when a SDLT holiday has been announced, and always will.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Like the fish I didn't catch on Tuesday, I've learned something.
  • oldbikebloke
    oldbikebloke Posts: 1,096 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    my goodness a whole day has passed on a house price thread without a comment from crashytime, I wonder if (s)he is unwell?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback