Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

The governments green deal

ChancockChancock Forumite
1 Post
MoneySaving Newbie
Dear all,I have today gone through the government website for assessment for the governments green deal home improvements scheme.I got through it and was told i was eligible.I was then redirected to a website with lists of companies that can assess you for the scheme.
All the companies on the list were not familiar to me.However they had company names, websites and phone numbers listed.So i tried to email two of the companies for an assessment but the mail returned undelivered.I double checked that i had the correct email address but the mail was returned Again.So i choose another company (the third one) and phoned but got an answer phone.their email bounced back as well.i tried phoning another company ,this time in Salisbury because I’m in the southwest and they answered but there was so much background noise from their end i could not hear the man on the phone properly.HE PUT THE PHONE DOWN ON ME>all the numbers i called and the emails i did were directed from the Gov.uk website.Its a shambles! I got nowhere.The companies listed ,although i didn't contact all of them ,simply were not contactable or not geared up to take their Members of the public who wanted an assessment for the green deal .First day for the deal and no response from providers ???????
Angry
Chancock.

Replies

• michaelsmichaels Forumite
    25.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Detail says you have to replace your heating system with a heat pump, can't just have it is an add on which was my current plan.
    I think....
  • Reed_RichardsReed_Richards Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    You need to sort what you want to do, what company you want to use and get them to give you a quote.  You would probably have had a more receptive response if you had done this before today.

The company I am looking to supply and install and Air Source Heat Pump for me proactively sent me their TrustMark Licence Number as you need to use a TrustMark registered installer.  With this information, and a quote that I could upload, I was able to complete the application process.  
    Reed
  • jevnberryjevnberry Forumite
    1 Post
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    I have been trying to obtain quuotes for cavity wall insulation using the official guide. So far two listed companies have told me that they are not participating. Am now trying through National Insulation  Association.
  • Pile_o_stonePile_o_stone Forumite
    166 Posts
    100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    I have been trying to get internal wall insulation quotes. The ones I managed to speak to haven't gotten back to me with a quote and a couple sounded dodgy when I asked about breathable insulation for solid walls. It makes you wonder if it'll end with a £5k government contribution to a botched cowboy job that will cost more to put right.
    5.18 kWp PV systems (3.68 E/W & 1.5 E).
    Solar iBoost+ to two immersion heaters on 300L thermal store.
    Vegan household with 100% composted food waste
    Mini orchard planted and vegetable allotment created.
  • Reed_RichardsReed_Richards Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Well the idea of having TrustMark registered installers is that you avoid the cowboys.  I have no idea if this will actually work.
    Reed
  • friantfriant Forumite
    2 Posts
    Sixth Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    the government  green deal  is not clear if the first claim is for  e.g. loft insulation  @ £100.00 pounds then it says you can only claim double that amount on the secondry phase so this would imply that door repacements for e.g. costing £  £3.000.00 could not be claimed against the   2 thirds of £5.000.  this is not clear 
    25.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like heat pump is not going to work for me so I may go for some solar thermal for free that will probably save a couple of hundred a year in water heating costs and then unlock a new front door and some snazzy home automation for the heating.
    I think....
  • Pile_o_stonePile_o_stone Forumite
    166 Posts
    100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    One of the installers got back to me. After using google maps to survey my property the cost was, unsurprisingly, £10k.
    5.18 kWp PV systems (3.68 E/W & 1.5 E).
    Solar iBoost+ to two immersion heaters on 300L thermal store.
    Vegan household with 100% composted food waste
    Mini orchard planted and vegetable allotment created.
  • shinytopshinytop Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    I managed to get a quote for loft insulation.  I reckon it's about 50% inflated but with the grant it's still cheaper for me than DIY.  I'm now working on getting an inflated quote for a new door now, which hopefully will also save me some money  :)  
    25.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does anyone know what sort of 'smart heating controls' are eligible?
    I think....