Universal credit and help to save

Does anyone have experience of the govt Help to Save accounts being included in the savings figures we have to declare for UC calculations. We’ve actually asked them and they don’t know! 

Comments

• huckster
    huckster Posts: 4,813 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Yes you would include it. It is part of savings. If Government intended to exclude it from benefit savings consideration, they would have specifically stated this was the case.
    The comments I post are personal opinion. Always refer to official information sources before relying on internet forums. If you have a problem with any organisation, enter into their official complaints process at the earliest opportunity, as sometimes complaints have to be started within a certain time frame.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Yes it's included. The scheme is intended to encourage people to save if they can. Even if both halves of a couple each saved the maximum amount over 4 years the joint total would only be £2,400 and would therefore have no impact on benefit entitlement. 
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • whizzywoo
    whizzywoo Posts: 702 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 30 September 2020 at 9:04AM
    calcotti said:
    Even if both halves of a couple each saved the maximum amount over 4 years the joint total would only be £2,400 and would therefore have no impact on benefit entitlement. 
    That's not my understanding of it.  Each member of a couple can save a maximum of £50 per month each.  So for 48 months (4 years) that would mean £2,400 each making a total saved of £4,800.  After the first 2 years there is a £600 bonus each and then a further £600 each at the end of the 4 year term.
    Assuming that none of the savings are withdrawn and the full bonuses are not spent but saved in another account, the total amount would be £7,200.

For example:
    Mr X saves £50 x 48 months:   £2,400
    Mr X bonus at 24 months:        £    600
    Mr X Bonus at 48 months:        £    600
    TOTAL £3,600

Mrs X saves £50 x 48 months:   £2,400
    Mrs X bonus at 24 months:        £    600
    Mrs X Bonus at 48 months:        £    600
    TOTAL £3,600

Therefore a couple could potentially have savings of £7,200 when the final bonuses are received.

"All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well."  :) 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    whizzywoo said: Therefore a couple could potentially have savings of £7,200 when the final bonuses are received.
    You are absolutely correct - thanks for correcting me.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • NedS
    NedS Posts: 3,608 Forumite
    whizzywoo said:
    Therefore a couple could potentially have savings of £7,200 when the final bonuses are received.

Not necessarily. The first bonus of £1200 is paid after two years and may have been spent by the time the final bonus is paid. Therefore, the final balance would be £4800 saved and £1200 bonus giving a total of £6000.

• NedS said:
    whizzywoo said:

Not necessarily. The first bonus of £1200 is paid after two years and may have been spent by the time the final bonus is paid. Therefore, the final balance would be £4800 saved and £1200 bonus giving a total of £6000.

I did say "potential" savings and assuming none of the savings had been spent.  
    "All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well."  :) 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback