No new card issued

Options
I've had a smile bank account and credit card for years, probably over 15 years, never missed a payment. When lockdown started I took a payment holiday for 3 months, but have gone back to paying now, all seemed fine. But today I get a letter saying my current card runs out 11/20 and they won't issue a new one. Any idea why, or if there's anything I can do about it? I don't use it often, but it's my emergency credit card. 

Comments

• bradders1983
    bradders1983 Posts: 5,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 29 September 2020 at 12:52PM
    Options
    Its because you took a payment holiday. Your fault or not, it shows you are a risk and arent able to weather temporary cuts in income and they simply dont want to take the chance of you spending on the card and being unable to pay it back.

Dont take it personally. Lenders are rightly getting more cautious in their lending.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    They've chosen not to, for reasons of usage and risk.

You could ask them if they'll reconsider, but it's unlikely. Hopefully you have other day to day cards and not just an emergency one.  If not, apply for some.
  • hampshirebabe
    Options
    Thanks, if I'd known that at the time I'd have done things differently, but it's done now. Thanks for replying. 
  • bradders1983
    Options
    A lot of people just took the holiday because it was there and they thought "why not?". Not saying this applies to you but those people will find lenders doing this to them as well.
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,449 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Could also be related to the fact you do not use it often.

Life in the slow lane
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure