DWP investigation and a bankruptcy question

Hi I have a couple of questions if anyone would be able to answer them. How long after grant of confirmation do the DWP inform you there may be an investigation. I was POA for the deceased then executor so know everything was above board but they were in receipt of Pension Credit but had an indefinite assessment period due to age (82 when the award was given) and the grant of confirmation includes the value of a house sold a few years after pc was awarded but DWP were informed at the time and I have a letter to that effect, also they didn’t spend much money so it obviously accumulated. I know the savings before the award were within the criteria. Due to Covid would I be better getting in touch with DWP to get the ball rolling? I just don’t want to be waiting until 6 months is up ready to distribute the estate and suddenly they decide to investigate. I have every bank statement since POA was awarded to me, so going back 7 years. This is the only thing outstanding. 
How do you find out if someone is bankrupt/sequestered/IVA in Scotland. Would it be alright to ask the beneficiaries if they have any bankruptcy etc problems? I know that one of the beneficiaries has been in trouble before but I don’t know to what extent but there is the possibility  they don’t have a bank account and I don’t know why although I do know they are in employment. This beneficiary is estranged so don’t know anything about their life. I have looked up the London Gazette and nothing and have tried the AIB register but nothing coming up. Having done this would that be sufficient for proving that there was no information available and can assume the beneficiary is solvent. 

Replies

• xylophonexylophone Forumite
    38.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    have tried the AIB register but nothing coming up. 
    If below is correct then you have done what is required?

https://www.lawscot.org.uk/news-and-events/blogs-opinions/beneficiary-distribution-best-practice-to-check-insolvency/

they don’t have a bank account and I don’t know why although I do know they are in employment.

Perhaps he/she has a savings account?

• moneyonmymindsammoneyonmymindsam Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry for your loss, if it helps any our DWP pension credit enquiry letter came 2 months after grant of probate. 
    Sam 
    Grocery challenge Feb £107/£100-epic fail due to cake and biscuits
    🌟
  • Newly_retiredNewly_retired Forumite
    2.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    In the case of my MIL’s estate, the DWP held things up for about a year. They kept asking for bank statements going back far longer than was possible to obtain, then asking for things which they had already received. In the end there was nothing to pay, as there was an assessed income period. MiL’s probate included the value of the property,  which thus appeared to show She had capital over and above the amount allowed on Pension Credit. Their attitude was very antagonistic, quite unnecessarily.
    Sorry this is not what you want to hear. I hope your case works out better.
  • GSS20GSS20 Forumite
    78 Posts
    10 Posts First Anniversary
    In the case of my MIL’s estate, the DWP held things up for about a year. They kept asking for bank statements going back far longer than was possible to obtain, then asking for things which they had already received. In the end there was nothing to pay, as there was an assessed income period. MiL’s probate included the value of the property,  which thus appeared to show She had capital over and above the amount allowed on Pension Credit. Their attitude was very antagonistic, quite unnecessarily.
    Sorry this is not what you want to hear. I hope your case works out better.
    This scenario is what concerns me especially due to covid . We only have to go back 7 years as previous to that they didn’t have any means tested benefit and I have all the statements so hopefully they will be fine with that.