Estate beneficiary

Hello
My Aunt passed away a few months ago and in her last will and testament, nominated my Mother as sole executor of her will and beneficiary of her estate.  Upto now we’re aware of two private pensions and one investment bond account that my Aunt owned.  Does anyone know if my Mother is legally entitled to these pots of money?  A number of years ago my Uncle passed away and my Aunt was told because they were never married and my Uncle had not named my Aunt as beneficiary of his private pension that she was not entitled to it even though she was named in his will as sole beneficiary of his estate.

Thanks in advance.
Adam

Comments

• It really depends on the type of pension. Your uncle’s pension was probably a DB (defined benefits) pension which ceases on death unless you have a spouse or civil partner. Not getting married was a terrible choice financially both for her and her estate if it exceeds £325k

If your aunt had the same sort of pension or has purchased an annuity then the situation will be the same as there is no pot of money involved. If she has a D.C. (defined contribution)) then there is a pot of money which can be left to a beneficiary.

Your mother needs to contact the pension companies involved to inform them of her death and get advice on how to proceed. 
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,203 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    An investment bond is likely to form part of her estate
    Pension depend on the rules of the pension company and how it was set up, and whether it was in payment at the time the person died
    As Keep Peddling says, some pension die with the beneficiary, some have benefits for specific survivors (typically a spouse or minor children) - and this can depend on how the pension holder set it up hen they started the pension or when they started drawing it. 
    Your mum will need to write to the pension companies to find out whether there is anything to come to the estate .
    It's also possible that your aunt nominated specific beneficiaries for the pension, in which case the money would normally go to the nominated person and would not form part of the estate left to your mum.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • AOsh
    AOsh Posts: 2 Newbie
    First Post
    Thank you for the replies and information, very helpful.  
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback