Business mentoring

I am looking for a business mentor/couch. Does anyone have experience with the free mentoring and if your business idea and all the process is protected if you use the one?

Comments

• Percy1983
    Percy1983 Posts: 5,244 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Usually things are protected but this comes down to agreements made, where are you based?
    Have my first business premises (+4th business) 01/11/2017
    Quit day job to run 3 businesses 08/02/2017
    Started third business 25/06/2016
    Son born 13/09/2015
    Started a second business 03/08/2013
    Officially the owner of my own business since 13/01/2012
  • Sandtree
    Sandtree Posts: 10,628 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    You would normally get them to sign an NDA and/or non-competition agreement but the more restrictive you are the less interested someone is going to be about giving away their time to you for free so that you can make profit from their time with no reward for them. If you pay someone for their time they are more reasonable with signing agreements.
  • almanak
    almanak Posts: 210 Forumite
    Percy1983 said:
    Usually things are protected but this comes down to agreements made, where are you based?
    in London
  • almanak
    almanak Posts: 210 Forumite
    Sandtree said:
    You would normally get them to sign an NDA and/or non-competition agreement but the more restrictive you are the less interested someone is going to be about giving away their time to you for free so that you can make profit from their time with no reward for them. If you pay someone for their time they are more reasonable with signing agreements.
    what would be reward to them ?So usually they take advantage of the fact they can get to know details about your ideas you spend years to develop or get to? This is actually what I need to know since if that is the case I will find the one I will pay to or will process without any.
  • Sandtree
    Sandtree Posts: 10,628 Forumite
    almanak said:
    Sandtree said:
    what would be reward to them ?So usually they take advantage of the fact they can get to know details about your ideas you spend years to develop or get to? This is actually what I need to know since if that is the case I will find the one I will pay to or will process without any.
    No, most do it for fairly altruistic purposes but there is only so far goodwill will go and if you give them a 20 page contract which in clause 26.3 says they can not have any dealings with a business in retail (or whatever sector you are) for the next 3 years or such then most aren't interested in attempting to negotiate the contract when all they get is the feel good factor of helping someone.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback