van insurance void?

Options
Please help. My van was stolen and my insurer has agreed a total loss settlement. When I sent them my V5 document they said the name does not match my name and therefore I was not the registered keeper. When I checked I noticed one letter was wrong in my surname, it had my name down as Mr BIRU when my name is Mr BIRD. It is obviously a typing error and I honestly never noticed it in all 3 years i had the van. Now i don't know if they will pay out. What are my rights please. I am so stressed

Comments

• davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If it's obviously a typo (and there's not actually a Mr Biru who owns the van) I can't see they've got much of an argument.
  • braineebird
    Options
    Thank you for your reply. I thought so too but you hear stories of insurance using any loophole to get out of paying.
  • Sandtree
    Sandtree Posts: 10,628 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Presumably it is correctly to your address? Do you have your proof of purchase? (I realise ownership and keeper is different but adds weight)
  • Jumblebumble
    Jumblebumble Posts: 1,814 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 22 September 2020 at 12:30PM
    Options
    Please help. My van was stolen and my insurer has agreed a total loss settlement. When I sent them my V5 document they said the name does not match my name and therefore I was not the registered keeper. When I checked I noticed one letter was wrong in my surname, it had my name down as Mr BIRU when my name is Mr BIRD. It is obviously a typing error and I honestly never noticed it in all 3 years i had the van. Now i don't know if they will pay out. What are my rights please. I am so stressed
    I would think the ombudsman would give them short shrift... Your argument should be that you informed DVLA that Mr Bird is the registered keeper and that their mistake in updating the records does not alter that fact
    You can confirm that Mr Beru does not as far as you know exist
  • Thank you for your reply. I thought so too but you hear stories of insurance using any loophole to get out of paying.

Make an official complaint. If that doesn't sort to escalate to the Ombudsman. I've noticed a lot of insurance companies trying it on lately, but they can't wriggle out of it over a typo. The are just hoping you will go away and give up.
  • nottsphil
    Options

You can confirm that Mr Beru does not as far as you know exist
    But if he did that, they could then claim that he was prone to typos and probably misspelt his own name on the original application  :) 
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,570 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you for your reply. I thought so too but you hear stories of insurance using any loophole to get out of paying.

Make an official complaint. If that doesn't sort to escalate to the Ombudsman. I've noticed a lot of insurance companies trying it on lately, but they can't wriggle out of it over a typo. The are just hoping you will go away and give up.
    What would the complaint be about?
    The op is talking about a hypothetical scenario as they haven't refused yet.  They have just identified the name difference.    If they refuse the claim then a complaint should be made as its clearly a typing error.   However, the insurer has not refused yet but is waiting on explanation.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback