Refusal despite proof

Hi.  About 3 years ago I put in a PPI claim. With Halifax for a mortgage with PPI attaches going back to 1998.  I remembered clearly refusing a policy, and was horrified to find that one had been added to my first mortgage.  My parents were present at the meeting g and also clearly remembered my refusing. I pointed out in my claim that as I was only borrowing 26000, was earning 18000 and had savings and my parents behind me who'd even offer to lend me the m I net themselves, I had been clear about bit wanting a policy.  I received an extremely condescending letter in reply, stating that in their opinion, the policy was in my best interest, and so it could be assumed that I'd agreed to it! 
18 months later, I stumbled on the original questionnaire I filled out at the time, giving the name of the sales chap and also clearly showing the boxes I'd ticked stating that not only did I not want any insurances, but also that I didn't even want to discuss them in the future.  I wrote to the Halifax once again, this was the beginning of August 2019.  Over the last year, I received two letters apologising for the delay, then 2 weeks ago a letter refusing the claim, stating they had already looked at it previously and in the absence of  new and compelling evidence their original decision stood!  If the original paperwork is t compelling evidence, I don't know what is.  
Can anyone offer me any advice?

Comments

• brettcta
    brettcta Posts: 4,693 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    If they’re refusing to re-look at it then you’re bang out of luck I’m afraid. You’re past the point where you can refer it to the ombudsman and your only option would be taking them to court which would be an expensive mistake.

helpful tips
    it's spelt d-e-f-i-n-i-t-e-l-y
    there - 'in or at that place'
    their - 'owned by them'
    they're - 'they are'
    it's bought not brought (i just bought my chicken a suit from that new shop for £6.34)
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,359 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
      I received an extremely condescending letter in reply, stating that in their opinion, the policy was in my best interest, and so it could be assumed that I'd agreed to it! 

Equally, you could be telling complete porkies.   They cant just accept everything you say as gospel.  Rememember over half of people who made PPi complaints didn't even have PPI. That didn't stop them accusing the banks of all sorts of wrongdoing.

The response they have given is where they have found no evidence of wrongdoing.  Where they find no evidence and you supply no evidence to support your allegations, they have to fall back to suitability.   And the response they have given says they believe it to be suitable.

18 months later, I stumbled on the original questionnaire I filled out at the time, giving the name of the sales chap and also clearly showing the boxes I'd ticked stating that not only did I not want any insurances, but also that I didn't even want to discuss them in the future.  

That isn't really evidence.   It indicates at that particular meeting you didn't want the insurance.   It doesn't mean it was not bought later.

I wrote to the Halifax once again, this was the beginning of August 2019.  Over the last year, I received two letters apologising for the delay, then 2 weeks ago a letter refusing the claim, stating they had already looked at it previously and in the absence of  new and compelling evidence their original decision stood!  

That is the expected outcome as what you have is not compelling evidence.

I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback