We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Notice pay from redundancy

Hi,
I got made redundant in March and didn't get any universal credit until the end of June. We had to live off the credit card as my fiance is on a minimum paid job. He continued to work through the past few months and we relied solely on his wage.

I managed to secure a job in which I began last week in a school part time. My son attends nursery when I'm at work and it's 500 a month. We paid the first month upfront and was advised get help for this. I got a payment from the rpo of £1500, for my notice pay (12 weeks minus the universal credit we had the past 2 months). Today my payment is showing as 0 as the rpo put this as a wage, they have now not given us any payment or help towards my sons childcare. 
The £1500, we used 500 to pay his first month nursery and the other £1000 brought down the credit card balance. 

I have contscted universal credit to say iv not been paid and won't be for another 3 weeks. Surely I cant be entitle to nothing?when I asked about my redundancy payment affecting universal credits I was advised it didn't if below £6000,as clearly if I knew I had to live off it I wouldn't have spent it. Fiances earnings this month were around £1387.

Is this right and my redundancy payment does get taken into account?
Thanks for any advice 
«1

Comments

  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    what is rpo?
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 16 September 2020 at 3:29PM
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/universal-credit/claiming/starting-your-universal-credit-claim/
    Redundancy pay won’t affect how much you’ll get in your first Universal Credit payment unless it brings your total amount of savings to over £6,000. 
    What does your UC statement show? Is the redundancy payment showing as earnings? If it does you should raise a Mandatory Reconsideration through your journal asking them to look again at the calculation on the grounds that the redundancy payment should not have been treated as earnings.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • calcotti said:
    what is rpo?
     Redundancy payment office
  • Thank you will try that calcotti
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    calcotti said:
    what is rpo?
     Redundancy payment office
    Is this a department of your former employer or are you referring to the government Redundancy Payment Service? If the latter I would assume you have paperwork that will evidence the fact that the payment is a redundancy payment. If the former and the employer has reported it incorrectly it will be more difficult to get DWP to change the UC.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • No my work went into administration its from the redundancy payments office who give it when your employer shuts down
  • Yes its the redundancy service 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Yes its the redundancy service 
    Request a Mandatory Reconsideration as suggested. Offer to upload copies of relevant documents from the RPS (UC can provide a link to allow you to do this if they choose to).
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Thank you so much
  • So worried there right and this money counts towards our universal credit as no idea how we will pay everything.

    Would this be why they also didn't pay any childcare?
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.