Mortgage broker - ask me anything

Replies

• KB0707KB0707 Forumite
    1 Post
    First Post
    Are mortgage payments taken in advance or arrears? I complete on 30/09 and have been told by Barclays that i'll have payments taken:

16/10: Full amount plus one day's interest
    1/11: Full amount
    1/12 etc: Full amount

My understanding is that the first mortgage payment is usually over one month away and includes extra interest as it's taken in arrears. However, this appears that the payment is taken in advance. This hasn't officially been confirmed to me yet, just a lady in the Barclays live chat, but does it sound like that is correct to you?
  • MovingForwardsMovingForwards Forumite
    15K Posts
    10,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

I am taking out a mortgage on the LIFT scheme.  Full house value (£155000) of which I am paying £93000) Do yo know if you are allowed to borrow more on the mortgage to pay off my debt?  Thanks

have to admit I have never heard of the lift scheme? If similar to council right to buy then no you wouldn't be able to. You would be able to borrow 100% of what you are paying however could not borrow more on top

It's a Scottish thing, not RTB type.
    https://www.gov.scot/policies/homeowners/low-cost-initiative-for-first-time-buyers/
  • Hannabear2016Hannabear2016 Forumite
    11 Posts
    10 Posts
    Forumite
    We've been told by our MA that we passed full assessment by Nationwide last week (our valuation was completed on the 27/08). Does passing full assessment mean we can expect an offer soon or could we still be declined? 
  • ad_23ad_23 Forumite
    2 Posts
    First Anniversary First Post
    Hi, Firstly just wanted to say I really appreciate all the professionals on here who are taking the time to give advice on these issues, especially in such uncertain times.
    I'm a first time buyer looking to get a mortgage with my spouse. I'm self employed (sole director of a limited company) and my spouse is employed (part time), both of us have been in the same position for at least 3+ years and our earnings split is around 70% me and 30% my spouse. From reading the replies and comments on this thread I'm really apprehensive about whether we realistically have any chance of getting a mortgage in this current climate. There are a few main queries I had, I would appreciate any suggestions/comments -

1. From the comments above I can see that the lender is likely to ask me for 3 months business bank statements to see how the pandemic has affected my business. Thankfully, it hasn't had a big impact but I have had to put a member of staff on furlough (so there are monthly CJRS grants coming in to the bank). Moreover, recently I just applied for a loan using the bounce back scheme (mainly as a backup as things are so uncertain even now and I can pay it back in full within a year without any interest), this hasn't been processed yet so I was wondering if it's better I don't take this loan in order to improve chances of getting a mortgage? Obviously I would much rather have the loan if there is a way around it as the scheme will end soon and it could be helpful in the short term for business cash flow. What about the CJRS grants, would they have an adverse effect as well?

2. It looks like we'll need around 75% LTV, are we likely to get decent offers for that? Also, are there any particular lenders who are more favourable towards self employed?

3. Lastly, our status in the UK is I have permanent leave to remain and my spouse is on a dependant visa (she has around 2 years to go on her current visa but has already qualified to apply for permanent leave), would my spouses' visa status have any bearing on which lenders we can apply to?

Any guidance will be much appreciated :) 
  • DinpraadDinpraad Forumite
    71 Posts
    Third Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    With Natwest using a hard search for DIP what are the chances of getting accepted with a mortgage after a full application is submitted ? Also what is the timeline for Natwest at the moment from DIP to full offer??
  • Newhome21Newhome21 Forumite
    14 Posts
    10 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Hi there - sorry in advance as this is a 2 part question but any help or advice you could give would be most helpful.
    1. Currently have a mortgage with Halifax (for over 10 years, no payment issues) - this is a shared equity mortgage which I would now like to add additional borrowing onto so that I can redeem the shared equity loan (LTV after additional borrowing is under 60% so all good) 
    2. Thinking of moving: have seen a New Build property - I will have 10% deposit (when I sell current house) and builder is offering 5% towards deposit contribution so a total 15% deposit on house @ approx £280K. 
    My Concerns are: 
    In 2014 (due to redundancy) I entered into an IVA/Trust Deed - completed and discharged 2018 and everything is now off credit files. I have checked with Equifax / Experian / Credit Karma / MSE Club and all showing excellent scores with no defaults or negative information registered.
    No loans/finance, credit cards are at £0 balance, car finance is paid off
    Based on this do you think I would have any chance with point 1 or 2 above with Halifax (prefer to stay with them if I could) or a lender without really high rates. 
    Is there a time limit between me adding additional borrowing onto my loan before I can apply for an AIP for the new house - think there may only be a couple of weeks between me repaying the shared equity and the new house plot being released.

I hope this makes sense and apologies for it being so long winded. 

• DE_612183DE_612183 Forumite
    601 Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Hi, I’m a director of my own company ( as is my wife ) we are getting separated. We have joint mortgage on a property which won’t be sold. I want to buy a small property for myself.
    what type of mortgage would I need and can you recommend one that is get accepted for?
  • haras_n0sirrahharas_n0sirrah Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    What are the biggest causes of failing to secure a mortgage from a lender after receiving a DIP?

I see it a fair bit on here and wondered how it comes about? The lender sees your credit file before issuing a DIP, so providing all of the information you provided is correct what goes wrong?
    Things being imput incorrectly - we always get payslips, bank statements, credit reports before doing a dip so we know the information is correct and theoretically it should be fine
    The number of times though we have to change the information a client has given us because it is wrong (rounded up income, rounded down credit mainly)
  • mh_wwmh_ww Forumite
    91 Posts
    10 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    are you experiencing 100% complete delays with Nationwide ( delays fully documented on other threads) or are there any positive Nationwide timelines?
    I had a nationwide case offer today to my complete surprise which went in on the 5th sept (lender looked at payslips and bank statements so not a no document case) but have had another one from last month which has not offered despite no questions (90%) Currently nationwide are at 19 working days. 
    I suspect there are higher ltv tracks and lower ltv tracks (the one that offered today was under 75%)
    I know self employed have their own track as well.
    thank you. we submitted our application 14/9 and valuation booked for 17/9.No other communication.  Does this mean Nationwide are doing valuations before underwriting? 
    yes - nationwide are instructing valuations on application
    If this is the case is there any reason we may not have received any messages to advise us of booking etc for the valuation? We applied through a broker rather than direct and the only thing we had was the text message saying the application had been received.
  • haras_n0sirrahharas_n0sirrah Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    KB0707 said:
    Are mortgage payments taken in advance or arrears? I complete on 30/09 and have been told by Barclays that i'll have payments taken:

16/10: Full amount plus one day's interest
    1/11: Full amount
    1/12 etc: Full amount

My understanding is that the first mortgage payment is usually over one month away and includes extra interest as it's taken in arrears. However, this appears that the payment is taken in advance. This hasn't officially been confirmed to me yet, just a lady in the Barclays live chat, but does it sound like that is correct to you?
    it varies from lender to lender. You should get a letter after completion. I would go with what they have told you