Mortgage broker - ask me anything

Options

Comments

• user58
    user58 Posts: 17 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I am a single person aged 62 wanting to buy a small property between £140k and £180k.

I have £65k  deposit and want to take a mortgage for the balance, what sort of term length do lenders stretch to at my age as It is my intention to work to 70 at least.

Would I be best to use a broker and which lenders are best for my needs.

• K_S
    K_S Posts: 6,729 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    user58 said:
    I am a single person aged 62 wanting to buy a small property between £140k and £180k.

I have £65k  deposit and want to take a mortgage for the balance, what sort of term length do lenders stretch to at my age as It is my intention to work to 70 at least.

Would I be best to use a broker and which lenders are best for my needs.
    @user58 Unless you have substantial pension income due to kick in after retirement, the max term you are likely to get is 7 years. Your financial circumstances (income, outgoings, debt, etc) will need to meet the lender's affordability calculation to borrow 75-115k over 7 years.

I am a Mortgage Adviser - You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. 

PLEASE DO NOT SEND PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.

• Capri84
    Capri84 Posts: 163 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    K_S

In your experience with Halifax, does being an existing bank account customer curry any favour with them? 

Does having a DIP with Coventry (along with a hard search) go against any further applications with Halifax (or anyone else)

&

My credit history is perfect, as is my wife’s... apart from a 3 month ‘missed payment’ with EE back in 2017. It’s a farce how it came about but seems to be difficult to get it removed, would that significantly impact a 95% application? 
  • K_S
    Options
    Capri84 said:
    K_S
    In your experience with Halifax, does being an existing bank account customer curry any favour with them? 
    Does having a DIP with Coventry (along with a hard search) go against any further applications with Halifax (or anyone else)
    &
    My credit history is perfect, as is my wife’s... apart from a 3 month ‘missed payment’ with EE back in 2017. It’s a farce how it came about but seems to be difficult to get it removed, would that significantly impact a 95% application? 
    - in my experience, having an account with the lender you are applying to has no material impact on your chances of a positive result.
    - on its own, one hard check is unlikely to have any lasting impact
    - if you get past the DIP, I would not expect a couple of 4 year old telecom missed payments to lead to a decline at full application

I am a Mortgage Adviser - You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. 

• Wd85
    Wd85 Posts: 47 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Do you think I may have a chance of getting a mortgage for 77,000 from Halifax with a 52,000 deposit? I have recent pay day loans from January but all paid off in the feb before they was suppose to of been.
    I have no debt, ccjs or defaults. 
  • Wd85
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Forgot to add I do have a dip with Halifax for £80,000 as I did this last week.
  • curiousalways
    Options
    Has any one here being a self employed dual application mortgage got a rejection from lender.
    my broker told me if we put 25 percent deposit than the chances are 99 percent, after 3 days I got a call from him saying bank needs to see the latest 3 months business statements and if we have taken business grants and if there is no transaction than they might reject the application, but at the same time they took certificate from our accountant at the start of application and now they are asking for projection report for both companies and bank statements.
    Unfortunately we have took business grants and were on furlough too, but why will they not approve by looking at the latest company figures.

Has anyone come across this situation if yes was mortgage rejected or approved.

Thank you very much  
  • K_S
    edited 13 April 2021 at 6:23PM
    Options
    @curiousalways For applicants with self-employed income, if the lender asks for recent bank statements at underwriting the usual reason is to confirm that the business is trading normally in line with the accounts figures submitted.

Unfortunately, all the broker can do is pick a lender who doesn't ask for recent business bank statements upfront. There's no guarantee that they don't ask for them at underwriting for self employed applicants.

• K_S
    Options
    Wd85 said:
    Do you think I may have a chance of getting a mortgage for 77,000 from Halifax with a 52,000 deposit? I have recent pay day loans from January but all paid off in the feb before they was suppose to of been.
    @wd25 Are they showing as settled on the latest credit reports? 

• Wd85
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    K_S said:
    Wd85 said:
    @wd25 Are they showing as settled on the latest credit reports? 
    Yes they are showing settled/satisfied I’m sure I saw on one I took one out in the December and November but none since all paid off
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback