Repaying Advanced Learner Loan. When exactly?

Hi. I'm going to take Advanced Learner Loan to start Diploma Course (9 months, online). After that I'm going to progress to BA degree (this same field). 
At the same time I'm working full time and doing substantial amount of overtime to be able to take mortgage next year. That is why I will earn around 30k this financial year. This is 4k over Advanced Learner Loan repaying threshold. 
My question is: Will I start repaying immediately as I will go over that threshold? Or do I have to complete the course first?  It's important to me as I need every penny next year. Besides this year is abnormal and I will be earning less than 25k next year, therefore if repaying can start only after my course completion then I will not be charged. 
So to simplify question? Advanced Learner Loan. Repaying when earning more than 25k? Or when on more than 25k and after course?

Comments

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,945 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 12 September 2020 at 8:12PM
    https://www.gov.uk/advanced-learner-loan

Detailed t&c's here: https://media.slc.co.uk/sfe/nysf/all/all_terms_and_conditions_guide_o.pdf

The bit you may be particularly interested in:
    "4. Repayment You must repay your Advanced Learner Loan in line with the contract and the regulations.
     When you’ll repay
    You’ll be due to start repaying your loan in the April after you complete or leave your course. You’ll only start making repayments when your income is over £511 a week, £2,214 a month or £26,575 a year. If your income falls below these thresholds, repayments will stop and only re-start when your income is over these thresholds."
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • So according to this document, as long as I'm doing this course I don't have to pay anything,  regardless of my income, right? 
    I'm sorry for asking but English is not my first language and I want to make sure that my understanding is correct. 
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,945 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Yes correct. You don't pay anything while you are doing the course, as repayments start the April after you finish.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • silvercar said:
    Yes correct. You don't pay anything while you are doing the course, as repayments start the April after you finish.
    Thank you. I appreciate it. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure