"Cash back" at supermarkets

Options
Hi,

I understand that if you use a credit card at an ATM, you will have to pay a fee. So an interest free on purchases card should only be used on...purchases! However...what about 'cash back' at supermarkets? Does that count as a 'purchase' (ie, interest free) or a cash withdrawal?

This is my first credit card, so sorry if this is a stupid question!

Cheers,
Chris

Comments

• Bagger
    Bagger Posts: 72 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Gecks

You do not get "cashback" on credit cards at Supermarkets - only debit cards qualify.

Bagger
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,631 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You can buy some vouchers with a credit card that count as a purchase.
    I did it at Waitrose buying some John Lewis vouchers.
  • taless
    taless Posts: 244 Forumite
    Options
    But I was offered "Do you want any cashback sir?" when I shop at Sainsburys a few times. I said no each time (as I know it's a credit card that I am using).

I never tried doing that, but I think banks can see - when I use my Debit card for Cashback, I'll see this on my statement - Sainsbury's - GBP5 Cashback or something to that effect.
  • Zebedee69
    Zebedee69 Posts: 1,034 Forumite
    Options
    taless wrote: »
    But I was offered "Do you want any cashback sir?" when I shop at Sainsburys a few times. I said no each time (as I know it's a credit card that I am using).

I never tried doing that, but I think banks can see - when I use my Debit card for Cashback, I'll see this on my statement - Sainsbury's - GBP5 Cashback or something to that effect.

Its very likely the staff dont know what their doing :rolleyes:

You can get cashback on debit cards but not credit/storecards.

If you want to get money out of a credit card why not get an Egg money card and BT to it giving your Egg a positive balance? Withdrawls from an Egg money card in credit are free from most ATM's that take Mastercard.....

Just my tuppence worth.....
  • iceicebaby
    iceicebaby Posts: 3,633 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think the staff just automatically ask if you want cash back as a habit really
    Baby Ice arrived 17th April 2011. Tired.com! :j
  • Stephen_Leak
    Options
    Gecks wrote: »
    I understand that if you use a credit card at an ATM, you will have to pay a fee. So an interest free on purchases card should only be used on...purchases! However...what about 'cash back' at supermarkets? Does that count as a 'purchase' (ie, interest free) or a cash withdrawal?

From the sound of it, you know more than the checkout staff. And, by not getting cash - by any means - on a credit card, you did the right thing.
    The acquisition of wealth is no longer the driving force in my life. :)
  • Stephen_Leak
    Options
    Gecks wrote: »

From the sound of it, you know more than the checkout staff: by not getting cash - by any means - on a credit card, you did the right thing.
    The acquisition of wealth is no longer the driving force in my life. :)
  • HannaB
    HannaB Posts: 345 Forumite
    Options
    When I was working at Sainsbury's, a prompt came on the till as a reminder to ask if the customer wanted cashback when paying on a debit card. Perhaps the standards of staff and/or technology have slipped since those days...because a prompt didn't appear when paying with credit cards.;)

(No offence intended to current checkout staff, it was just the worst six weeks of my life)
    Please continue to hold the line. Your call is very important to us and will be answered by next available robot...
  • Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    In the past, one outlet I used regularly offered cashback on credit cards. And, because credit cards don't have any way of mixing cash & goods, it went as a purchase.

I used to use this regularly; I got cash, I got xx days interest-free to pay for it, plus I got a cashback reward on my credit card for the full amount!

Presumably, the merchant either:-
    1 Didn't know what the staff were doing;
    2 Was on a flat-rate charge per transaction to Visa, so didn't care; or
    3 Paid more to bank his cash than to charge it on a credit card (quite feasible).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure