Aiming for Mortgage Free!

Options

Comments

• rugbymadfamily
    rugbymadfamily Posts: 505 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 1 October 2020 at 4:55PM
    Options
    Pinch punch first of the month and all that. Feeling pretty happy, have made the £200 OP and also cashed out £75 in profits from my first few days of Matched Betting (got started on Monday so its gone well) and that has gone straight in as an OP as well. Busy day tomorrow (and most of next week) but hoping to get some more in over the weekend. Have also just put a bunch of clothes on a selling app so hoping that some of them go, if not will put them in the pile for the charity shop.

Have started my sewing project, its some curtains which will hopefully be nice and heavy to stop any draughts (fairly old house and we haven't been able to afford to fully double glaze yet) which seems very important as the temperature has dropped somewhat this week! In fact, had to put the heating on this morning! We have a Hive app thing which I was against getting to begin with (I'm fairly un-tech savvy) but I must say its been really useful, the boiler has no timer on it so previously just had to turn heating on / off. Whereas now its all controlled by an app and comes on at certain times. Plus if we are going to be late home, can turn it off so not wasting money.

I'm getting some exercise in this evening (bike ride) and then we have a chilled evening at home planned tomorrow evening, hoping to keep cracking on with the sewing over the weekend - actually aim is going to be to get them done over the weekend! 

Been doing well on food this week, working our way through the mountain of batch cooking I did a few weeks ago so has kept the spend low. Reorganising the freezer has worked wanders - should have done it ages ago!
    Current mortgage (1 Jun 2022): £289,501 - originally £351,999 got to love London sized mortgages!
    OP Goal 2022 = 3.75% in OPs: £6,975 / £13,200
    Emergency Fund Target: 3 months saved ✅

• joshiesaunt
    Options
    You're doing so well Rugby - we also have a London sized mortgage so i'm thinking of matched betting - how did you start?
  • rugbymadfamily
    rugbymadfamily Posts: 505 Forumite
    edited 4 October 2020 at 10:34PM
    Options
    You're doing so well Rugby - we also have a London sized mortgage so i'm thinking of matched betting - how did you start?
    Hi @joshiesaunt got started using a website called Team Profit, really easy and sets out exactly how to do it step by step! I've made £140 in the last few weeks so throwing it all at the OPs on the mortgage! To be honest, I would make a mess of it if I tried to explain it, but that website is literally the easiest thing I've found, has videos, written guides and tips, cannot recommend it highly enough!
    Current mortgage (1 Jun 2022): £289,501 - originally £351,999 got to love London sized mortgages!

• rugbymadfamily
    Options
    Evening, been a busy weekend here. Lots of DIY and finally finished the dining room (including all pictures etc being hung!) so am really happy! Only spent about £15 finishing it off with photo frames and bits. 

Off now for some roast pork for dinner YUMMY! 

• getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    So turns out this tracking your full spend is interesting. We had £150 budgeted for the weekend, which in my SOA falls under "entertainment", we spent £157, but of this, only £20 was actually entertainment! Spent £43 on a new tap for the kitchen (the old one sprung several leaks at once so poor husband spent weekend with his head under the bathroom sink!), £29 on vitamins for the month, £11 in wilkos on bits needed for the house and £50 on a coat stand (much needed as no where to store coats in the house, currently they are just on the floor). So £157 spent, but now I know where it went, rather than just thinking we spent £157 at the weekend. I intend to keep doing this for the full month to figure it out!
    This shows how important tracking and category allocation is. 
    you have
    house maintenance,
    healthcare  
    house stuff

You mentioned you need more double glazing perhaps a house(maint&improve) category so you can plan those and not use funds from emergency/entertainment for that.

Regular vitamins probably belongs in medical

house stuff(needs and wants) could have its own category or fall in with the other house category, maybe lump in other house things like white goods and garden stuff.

Might also be worth looking at what gets lumped into groceries, many have food, booze household(toilet rolls cleaners etc) and personal stuff(shampoo, soap etc) splitting some of those out can give a clearer picture of where that is going
  • rugbymadfamily
    Options
    What a miserable day, don't think I will leave the house today, but at least it means I won't spend any money haha! Have some baking planned for my lunchtime, make some more yummy oaty bakes or maybe some flapjacks. Made another £70 OP on the mortgage this week from matched betting profits. Have decided I will cash out weekly and throw it all at the OPs. 

No real excitement going on here, agree with other posters that the mid month lull when all money is allocated and no more saving to be done is a bit dull lol. But hopefully the matched betting will keep my interest ticking over until payday! Need to keep going with my sewing projects too, progressed stalled this week!

• QueenJess
    QueenJess Posts: 3,717 Forumite
    Options
    Good baking plans  :) Just realised that mid-month lol is exactly what I am feeling now... desperate to make more OP's, but am just waiting really!
    2024 decluttering: 9,597 ⭐️🥉⭐️🏅🏅🥈⭐️🏅🥇🏅⭐️🏅🏅⭐️
    May mini kitchen declutter challenge: 34/25
    May/June mini clothes declutter challenge: 142/200
    2024 decluttering goals: 🥉3,000 🥈4,000 🥇5,000 💎12,000 🏆 20,000
  • rugbymadfamily
    Options
    Cashed out my first £10 Swagbucks reward this evening, planning to put it towards some new jeans! Been putting the matched betting money towards mortgage OPs so feel like it would be nice to have something to reward myself! 

Hating that the dark evenings are closing in and its only mid-October! Got to get my butt back to exercising and raising those endorphins, gonna kick start things again tomorrow and get some fresh air and umph back into myself!

• rugbymadfamily
    Options
    In even better news, another £58.50 OP made on the mortgage 😊 so have exceeded my original target for 2020 which was only £600 as focus currently on building the Emergency Fund. Given I only started last month I'm really happy with that, should be able to do another £200 from pay in Nov and same in Dec, hopefully keep making more from the matched betting to keep the OPs ticking over until I hit the EF target (should be Feb next year). Target for next year is much more ambitious......but let's see where we get to by the end of the year!

• SWSEGirl
    SWSEGirl Posts: 162 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I’ve enjoyed reading your diary Rugby! We also have a sizeable London mortgage, so will follow your diary with interest. Good luck! It’s amazing to see the balance come down.
    Original Mortgage as of September 2016 = £322,999 :eek: Paid off by 2051
    Current Mortgage Balance as of September 2017 = £316,649
    Current Mortgage Balance as of May 2020 = £276,364
    Current Mortgage Balance October 2020 = £262,480
    Current Mortgage Balance December 2020 = £250,852
    Current Mortgage Balance January 2021 = £248,219
    Current Mortgage Balance February 2021 = £246,000
    Current Mortgage Balance March 2021 = £243,434
    Emergency Savings = £40,000
    S&S ISA's = £5,536
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories