We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Day trip to London from Manchester for an official event

Options
Hi All,  I would need to go to London on 1st Oct. for an official event that i cannot miss. Looking at the available train schedules, the cheapest single fare i can get is £34. However, according to the trainline website, this could be subject to change, and I cannot risk this. If I were to drive to London, can you suggest where i can park my car (outside central London or even outside London). Thank you in advance.

Comments

• onwards&upwards
    Options
    It won't change once you book the ticket.

Where is the event?
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,692 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    The timetables will be reviewed on 26th September in response to Covid, hence the warning your booked train time may change times.

However if you do book a service which doesn't run you are entitled to use an alternative service.

With such a potential disruption book through the train operating company and not Trainline as problems are easier to resolve if you deal directly with the provider rather than a third party.

• Paula_Smith
    Options
    How about Luton Airport Parkway - its just off the M1
    https://www.london-luton.co.uk/to-and-from-lla/travelling-from-london-or-the-south
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,218 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    There has to be a better way - I presume the OP is looking to go from Euston but we don't know where OP lives.
    Never pay on an estimated bill. Always read and understand your bill
  • jon81uk
    jon81uk Posts: 3,793 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you want to park it depends where the event is, how long it is on for etc. Don't forget if it is very central there is the £15 congestion charge.
    At weekends you might find on-street parking for free if you are lucky and can do some decent research on streetview etc.
    But otherwise one good option is to park at Westfield either Shepherds Bush or Stratford and take the tube in from there

Train will most likely be cheaper and easier overall though.
  • bradders1983
    bradders1983 Posts: 5,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 8 September 2020 at 1:31PM
    Options
    I assume he lives in Manchester given the thread title.

I have often parked on a street near Stanmore tube station, end of the Jubilee line, but this was years back and street restrictions may be more severe now.  And that is just off the M1; the OP may actually be coming down the M40.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.8K Life & Family
  • 249.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback