Using zero balance credit cards to main an excellent rating

Options
My credit cards have a zero balance for the first time in 20 years! Im looking to start the mortgage process in around 18 months and my current credit score with experian is classed as excellent.
My question is, what do i do with my credit cards? For more info; i have 2 cards. First with zero balance and limit of £5000 and second with zero balance and limit of £2500.
I also have a loan i pay monthly which has another 20 months left (low interest) so i will still be using credit over this period.
 Do i consider closing one? Reduce credit limits? Not spend on them?Spend £10 a month on each,then pay in full each month to keep a spending history?  Also if i did this can i spend £10 then pay it off an hour later or will this mean i never generate an end of month bill as such, would just help me keep on top of my weekly budget this way.
Any advice is welcomed.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 6 September 2020 at 9:30AM
    Options
    Ignore the credit score. It has no relevance in lending and is only for entertainment purposes.

Lenders want to see how you manage your credit.

The two best things you can do in your situation is to pay off the loan and secondly use your cards regularly, clearing in full each month. Wait for the statement.

Getting rid of your debt is the best way to improve how lenders view you.
  • MinuteNoodles
    Options
    Do normal monthly spending on them such as using them to pay for fuel for your car or the weekly shop and set direct debits to clear the balance in full every month. 
  • paul_wce
    Options
    I’m in a similar boat I have 2 credit cards £9000 and £8000 I was sailing close to the wind for several years before an inheritance gave me the chance to clear them both. 

I now have zero credit anywhere, my Experian score is 729 which I am trying to improve in order to be able to purchase a house in the next 12 months. 

Will closing one of the credit cards help with this or will it hinder me in anyway? I’ve been using one of the cards for fuel each month then clearing it in full when the statement arrives. 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Don't try to improve your credit score. It doesn't matter and it won't behave as you think it does.

If you only have two cards, keep both open and use regularly, clearing in full each month.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback