Student Loan if move

My daughter has a student loan she is doing an open uni part time cos she works in the UK.  She has been offered a job in NI does she have to tell them the course is done online or is Northern Ireland part of the UK.  She is in a dilemma because she doesn’t want to not get the loan but with her tax and such going to be in Ireland would it make a difference. Or, does she have to cancel the loan and take out one in Ireland she is getting herself in a mess not knowing what to do. She is even thinking of not taking the better job and staying in the UK because of it.

Comments

• Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,032
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Northen Ireland is part of the U.K. It is defined as' The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland'
    Great Britain is England, Scotland and Wales.
    I have no idea if where she is based affects entitlement to student funding.
  • MalMonroe
    MalMonroe Posts: 5,783
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Pinkycat1 said:
    My daughter has a student loan she is doing an open uni part time cos she works in the UK.  She has been offered a job in NI does she have to tell them the course is done online or is Northern Ireland part of the UK.  She is in a dilemma because she doesn’t want to not get the loan but with her tax and such going to be in Ireland would it make a difference. Or, does she have to cancel the loan and take out one in Ireland she is getting herself in a mess not knowing what to do. She is even thinking of not taking the better job and staying in the UK because of it.
    It's not Ireland, it's Northern Ireland and that's in the UK, so if your daughter did move to Northern Ireland then she would still be in the UK and it wouldn't affect the loan. She could always contact the OU finance department, or wherever she got her loan from, is it Student Loan Co? just to confirm but I can't see there being a problem because she will still be in the same country. And the loan company will have a note of her National Insurance number so she can be traced anyway even if she does move, especially as her new employer will have all those details as well. All she needs to do is supply a change of address to the OU.

I really don't see a problem here.

Please note - taken from the Forum Rules and amended for my own personal use (with thanks) : It is up to you to investigate, check, double-check and check yet again before you make any decisions or take any action based on any information you glean from any of my posts. Although I do carry out careful research before posting and never intend to mislead or supply out-of-date or incorrect information, please do not rely 100% on what you are reading. Verify everything in order to protect yourself as you are responsible for any action you consequently take.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback