Redundancy & re-employment

Hi, 
I started working for my company on the 8th July, 2019 and was put on furlough at the end of March, 2020 and was put on the Government scheme (80% salary). 

I was formally made redundant after a number of redundancy consultations on the 15th June, 2020 and was given 1 month's notice (14th July, 2020 being my last day of employment). During the redundancy process, I was offered the opportunity to interview for two different positions (neither of which I was qualified to do) and was told these interviews would occur after the 15th June. 

To my surprise, I was contacted on the 17th June (2 days after being made redundant) and offered a new position (not part of the redundancy process) which I was qualified for and started work with the same employer on the 22nd June, 2020 (i.e. was not employed for 1 week). 
At the end of June, I was paid as follows: 
- Furlough pay (1st June - 15th June, 2020). 
- New employment (from 22nd June, 2020). 

I thought I should be paid as follows:
- Furlough pay (80%) from 1st June - 15th June, 2020
- Redundancy pay (100%) 16th June - 30th June, 2020. July payment should also include 100% to 14th July, 2020 (this was not paid).
- New job (100%) 22nd June - 30th June, 2020. 
Legally, am I correct in my understanding? Essentially I was not paid my redundancy notice pay. 
Thank you for your comments & advise. 

Comments

• getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Forumite
    14th July, 2020 being my last day of employment

You say your last day of employment  would have been  the 14 July and the new job started 22 June with the same employer.

There was no redundancy.

law  says if offered a job before the termination that can start up to 4 weeks after with there being no redundancy.

• Barny1979
    Barny1979 Posts: 7,921
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    So you want to be paid double for the period where you weren't redundant and were employed?
  • 14th July, 2020 being my last day of employment

You say your last day of employment  would have been  the 14 July and the new job started 22 June with the same employer.

There was no redundancy.

law  says if offered a job before the termination that can start up to 4 weeks after with there being no redundancy.

Thanks for your comment. If at hand, can you provide me with the contract law extract that you mention? 
    If your comment is correct, I should have been paid 100% of my "old" salary between 15th June to 22nd June rather then the 80% I was paid.  
  • Alter_ego
    Alter_ego Posts: 3,842
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    So you lost 20% of a week's pay, and you still have a job. Get a grip, thousands are losing their jobs!
    I am not a cat (But my friend is)
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Forumite
    14th July, 2020 being my last day of employment

There was no redundancy.

Thanks for your comment. If at hand, can you provide me with the contract law extract that you mention? 
    If your comment is correct, I should have been paid 100% of my "old" salary between 15th June to 22nd June rather then the 80% I was paid.  
    Why do you think you should have been paid full pay between the 15th June and 22 June?
    When the new job started,  it is just a change of job with the same company 

By accepting the offer there was no notice or redundancy, you just started the new job before the old one finished.

they could keep you on furlough til the new job started 80% pay.

Even if you were trying to consider that week as the last week of a notice period you had no right to 100% pay due to contractual notice being 4 weeks and statutory notice 1 weeks.

you need to familiarise yourself with the employment act.
    https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1996/18/contents

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.3K Life & Family
  • 246.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure