U16 Gas Meter Woe

Options
I am currently on oil fired central heating and have recently had a gas supply laid by Cadent. The local supply pressure is medium and, due to the distance from the road to the house (40m), they laid a 2.5" pipe and told me I'd need a U16 meter, even though my house is a 4 bedroom dwelling and I'll only be running a central heating boiler. In trying to get British Gas to fit the meter they are insisting that I don't need a U16 meter as I'll only be using up to 40kwh of energy and that I should ask Cadent to fit an adapter to the supply pipe to allow them to fit a U6 meter (they say they do not and can not do such work). Cadent are adamant I need a U16 to maintain the pressure all the way to the boiler (which will only be about 4m from the meter) and say that BG can and do fit adapters of the type required. This 'piggy in the middle' scenario is really frustrating when all I need is a meter fitted so I can proceed with the boiler installation. The gas supply was laid in June and, at this rate, I'll be waiting until next June to get my gas up and running. Can anyone provide any guidance on this please and/or what I should do next?  

Comments

• C_Mababejive
    C_Mababejive Posts: 11,654 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Did you get this resolved and if so,what was the outcome? A domestic U6 meter will deliver about 60Kw. The meter has no bearing on pressure.
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
  • RoverT2020
    Options
    I did get it resolved, thank you. Cadent eventually agreed that they’d laid the wrong size pipe and fitted an adapter to allow the fitting of a U6 meter. This was done fairly swiftly and I had the new boiler installed a week ago. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback