Forum Home» Random Acts of Kindness and All things Positive!

Got a bank note for the first time in 5 months

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Got a bank note for the first time in 5 months

8 replies 451 views
I was given a £10 note today. It's the first money I've handled in 5 months. Takes me back .... :)

These plastic notes are great, as you can wash them or sanitise them, and they are fine afterwards. Proper money laundering. 
No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?

Replies

• MnoeeMnoee Forumite
    58 posts
    10 Posts
    I checked in my wallet recently and discovered £35 I'd forgotten I had. Little victories! 
  • phillwphillw Forumite
    3.8K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I stopped carrying cash years ago. I wish supermarkets would come up with a better idea than £1 coins, I'm sure they do it because people forget them. Firstly who would steal a trolly? And £1 for a trolly is a good deal, their scrap value is many times that.

• Barny1979Barny1979 Forumite
    6.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    phillw said:
    I stopped carrying cash years ago. I wish supermarkets would come up with a better idea than £1 coins, I'm sure they do it because people forget them. Firstly who would steal a trolly? And £1 for a trolly is a good deal, their scrap value is many times that.

You need one of those coin fobs on a keyring 
    2013 - 313 AFDs, 2014 - 289 AFDs, 2015 - 321 AFDs, 2016 - 276 AFDs, 2017 - 276 AFDs, 2018 - 240 AFDs 2019 - 285 AFDs 2020 - 251 AFDs to end of November
    MFW Challenge 2019 - £1809/£1809, 2020 - £1827.14/£1750
  • sillyvixensillyvixen Forumite
    3.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Grabs39 said:
    We went camping in Hampshire in August.  It was great until halfway through we went to go to Lymington.  We got there, pulled into the car park and went to the meter...

But it would only take those little metal disc things.  Coins I think we used to call them.  It was at that point we realised neither of us had carried any cash since March!  
    that reminds me i must go to the bank and withdraw £20 in pound coins for parking (i have a selection of smaller denominations) but have used all my pound coins for parking in the last few months (the only cash I have used). We are going to Cornwall next week and will need parking change!! Normally I would get it in change when spending notes but I have had the same 2 £20 notes in my purse since since March!!
    Dogs return to eat their vomit, just as fools repeat their foolishness. There is no more hope for a fool than for someone who says, "i am really clever!"
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • mark55manmark55man Forumite
    5.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    you are making me feel like a spendthrift I took £30 out the day before lockdown, and finally spent the last one 2 weeks ago,  I should get round to replacing them.  Although 2 of the £10 notes went to the kids and only one spent on me, so that was about right :smiley:
    I think I saw you in an ice-cream parlour/Drinking milk shakes cold & long/Smiling & waving & looking so fine
    My aim is to overtake £zero from below and zoom a long way past
    Weight - 1/1/2020 - 121kg : 21/11/2020 - 93Kg - YTD:-28kg, Sep -8kg, Oct -6kg, Nov -3kg
    Start of Year Debt @ 31/12/19: CC:[email protected]% - Car:[email protected]% - Mortgage:[email protected]% = £145K
    Debt Year To Date - (End Nov): CC:£[email protected]% - Car £[email protected]% - Mortgage: £[email protected]% = £113K

Decrease in Total Debt 2016:£13.4K 2017:£8.3K 2018:£20K 2019:£16K 2020 (YTD): -£32K
  • GibbsRule_No3.GibbsRule_No3. Forumite
    113 posts
    Second Anniversary 10 Posts Photogenic
    I’m a rebel, I use notes and coins all the time(except M&S where I Apple Pay) Really annoys John Lewis. My bank card is not contactless, so until banks issue all customers with contactless I will continue to use cash. Good call on Cornwall parking, makes a note to make sure we have them for a Devon parking in a fortnight. Unless Ringo or whatever the App is called is available?
    Paddle No 21:wave:
  • MurphybearMurphybear Forumite
    5.8K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Grabs39 said:
    We went camping in Hampshire in August.  It was great until halfway through we went to go to Lymington.  We got there, pulled into the car park and went to the meter...

But it would only take those little metal disc things.  Coins I think we used to call them.  It was at that point we realised neither of us had carried any cash since March!  
    Us Hampshire born and bred types are a little old fashioned  B)