going on holiday.....should i tell the credit card company?

Options
hi guys,
iam going on holiday on friday.....should i tell the credit card company?

Comments

• falady
    falady Posts: 584 Forumite
    Options
    Hi James,

I would - I went to Australia recently and my card got blocked becuase I hadn't told them i was going away! Its a bit of a faff to sort out whilst you are away, so much easier to tell them before you go. Same applies for debit cards.

Ali
    Not Buying It 2015 :)
  • james3333
    Options
    cheers, i will!:money:
  • PBA
    PBA Posts: 1,521 Forumite
    Options
    Make sure they've got your mobile number on file. Then they can contact you if they're suspicious of anything.
  • suzzi2704
    suzzi2704 Posts: 141 Forumite
    Options
    Yeah you probably should do.
    I just dropped them a quick email from my internet banking and that was sufficient.
  • cashpoortimerich
    Options
    I used to work at a credit card company that asked customers to tell them when they were going away. This is ONLY so that they have a note of it on the account and a mobile number they can reach you on. It WONT stop your card being temporarily blocked if the automated security system decides your transactions are supsicious, but it will help the real person in the security team decide whether to take the block off immediately or try to contact you for confirmation (or wait till you phone up irate that you have had your card refused in a swanky restaurant-god I hated that job)
  • Wyndham
    Wyndham Posts: 2,453 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It's worth doing. But on a recent trip I also tried to do it for my debit card, only to be told I didn't need to and that if the funds were there, they would pay the money over no matter where the card was used.
  • Stageshoot
    Options
    debit card, only to be told I didn't need to and that if the funds were there, they would pay the money over no matter where the card was used

Not the case with Halifax Debit Cards

I used my card at an Airport Car park in the UK and then 1 hour later in Dublin Airport and Halifax blocked it for using it in 2 countries within a short time period

So it may be worth telling them on your debit card if you plan to use it,
    Over 100k miles of Electric Motoring and rising,
  • taless
    taless Posts: 244 Forumite
    Options
    Do we really need to give them our mobile number? What if when we're overseas, we switch to their local mobile SIM and hence, do not have our UK mobile functioning?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure