Money Moral Dilemma: Should I have asked for a refund after using Eat Out to Help Out?

Options
13»

Comments

• RussWWFC
    RussWWFC Posts: 573 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You most certainly should complain. And I speak as someone whose taxes paid for 50% of your meal!
    On a side note, had 3 very good meals under the scheme, best was a pizza from Pizza 1889, be happy to pay full price as it was
    great.
    Wycombe Till I Die
  • King_Drax_I
    King_Drax_I Posts: 74 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 2 September 2020 at 5:10PM
    Options
    Definitely flag it up with the staff, straight away. I don't see the dilemma here; discount or not you should still get good food. If you complain, they will likely bring you new food cooked fresh; also, if you feel you can do so, ask for fresh for other diners in your group because otherwise you will still be eating when others have long finished. If they're going to serve cold food without even noticing, it serves them right.

• steve.brown
    Options
    Complain, otherwise restaurant will not know and continue to serve substandard food. See if they offer you anything off. Then you can decide if you want to return. 
  • PJ91
    Options
    You should have complained after the first mouthful and asked them to replace it with a meal that wasn't cold, dry and stodgy.
    That would have given them a chance to rectify it while at the same time providing feedback that something was amiss in the kitchen.  
    I don't think it's right to ask for a refund after you've eaten the whole or a substantial part of your meal.  Don't forget that most of the restaurants have had to work with substantially reduced staff, so by complaining after you'd tasted the first mouthful would have HELPED both the owners and the customers that arrived after you.
    You were after all Eating out to Help out !
  • upsidedownpancake
    Options
    This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...

I went to a favourite restaurant to take advantage of the Eat Out to Help Out discount scheme before it ended. Normally a main is £12.50, which is reasonable for the quality, but with 50% off it was £6.25. Yet the food wasn't as good as usual - my meal was cold, dry and stodgy. Because I was paying a reduced amount I didn't feel I could complain, even though I knew the restaurant would be paid the full price. Should I have asked for my money back?

Unfortunately the MSE team can't always answer money moral dilemma questions as contributions are often emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be a point of debate and discussed at face value. 

😲 If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

🙄 Got a Money Moral Dilemma of your own? Suggest an MMD.
    "Unfortunately the MSE team can't always answer money moral dilemma questions because they're busy making up money moral dilemmas themselves."

Come on guys, give it up.  We all know no real person is asking these questions, stop couching them as real question, please.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback