Which provider has the "best" Smart Meter?

Options
scope
scope Posts: 764 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 1 September 2020 at 12:29PM in Energy
If you were to switch to a new provider and get a smart meter, which of the companies delivery the "best" smart meter in terms of functionality, usability, look, etc, etc?  

I have been holding off getting a smart meter installed for a while now, but the tariffs available where you dont need to install a meter are getting harder to come by (and more expensive) - so I might end up having to install one after all..

Comments

• clive0510
    Options
    surely they are all the same I would of thought. smart meter is a smart meter. I actually phoned my supplier earlier (octupus energy) and explained to them I all ready have a smart meter fitted by british gas when smart meters first came out. but octupus can not connect to that meter. the new one that they are going to fit is a generation 2. which means if I change supplier again the new supplier will be able to read the existing meter.
  • Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,938 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    clive0510 said:
    surely they are all the same I would of have thought.
    Rogue Smart Meters
  • RelievedSheff
    RelievedSheff Posts: 11,428 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    We had EDF smart meters in our previous property and BG smart meters in our current property.

The meters themselves don't make much odds although the EDF one never sent automatic gas readings and I still ended up doing those manually.

We do prefer the BG IHD though. It is far more user friendly.
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,519 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    NO Smart meter is infallible - the general advice is to continue to do your own manual readings and check vs Utility Co. records.
  • Talldave
    Talldave Posts: 2,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    scope said:
    If you were to switch to a new provider and get a smart meter, which of the companies delivery the "best" smart meter in terms of functionality, usability, look, etc, etc?  

I have been holding off getting a smart meter installed for a while now, but the tariffs available where you dont need to install a meter are getting harder to come by (and more expensive) - so I might end up having to install one after all..

Avoid the big 6,5, whatever!  Go to the cheaper smaller suppliers who aren't so smart meter obsessed.  Use separate suppliers - I'm with Symbio and Gulf, not a mention of smart meters and I pay so much less than a big 6/5/n customer.
  • Highland76
    Options
    OP, as long as they install the latest smets2 meters at your property and they've been provisioned correctly then you don't really need to worry what they look like or what brand they are. After all, meters are usually well hidden. These are the ones (smets2) I had installed last year through E.ON and after I moved to EDF recently they retained full functionality.

Main reasons for getting them was to get the best tariffs on the big 6 suppliers (I normally switch via uswitch  or MSE Cheap Energy Club) and not having to take meter readings manually as my meters are in an awkward location - not too arssed with the IHD so that's switched off and collecting dust somewhere. I pay something like 13p kWH for electricity and 2p kWH for gas with EDF, which  are great prices for a big 6 supplier ( it was a MSE CEC Exclusive tariff). Trick when choosing a big 6 tariff is to use a uswitch or MSE CEC tariff (often exlcusive) as prices through these sites are far, far lower than directly signing up with them. HTH :)

• frugalmacdugal
    Options
    scope said:

Hi,
    not bothered about 'look' my electric meter is in a wee box at front door, my gas meter is in an outside wall box, I see them once a month to get meter readings, then send to my provider, and also keep a wee spreadsheet, to record usage and cost.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback