Moorcroft letter

Hi all,

First post on here so I apologise if it’s placed incorrectly within the forum.

In March of this year my partner and I purchased a new build property. As with most developers they use British Gas for electricity & gas. As you can imagine when we moved in it was just as the UK went into lockdown, so we were unable to contact British Gas for the first few weeks. Once we did finally get through, some time around the end of May, it was initially to submit a final reading and move on to another supplier. However when we called they mentioned the meter serial numbers were not registered to our street address (we were plot 188) And they were in fact belong to plot 187, Which is still vacant to this day. Anyway, they said not to worry as they would sort it. Our other neighbours have moved however which is plot 189. And when they called they said that their meters were registered to our address, again they said they’d sort it. However,
we for weeks now have been getting letter with our names to their address? They also get letters to their address in their names, both have different account numbers. We have spoken to British Gas multiple times now who have admitted the issue is at their end, but they still continue to send letters for outstanding bills. 

However we have been away and our neighbours also have, so we have missed them over the last week or 2, but they have just passed us in post with our name on, their address and account numbers that do not refer to either of our accounts. It is a letter from moorcroft demanding £200 for unpaid bills, which British Gas only a week ago have said do not pay any bills until they sort whatever mistake they’ve made. I’m sure all of this will get rectified however I am concerned that this will affect my credit score in the interim, but unsure if it will as not registered to my address or doesn’t relate to my account number. 

Could anyone advise on the credit score issue and what course of action to take with British Gas?

Any help greatly appreciated

Jamie 

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,870 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 31 August 2020 at 6:33PM
    British Gas will need to sort themselves out, in the meantime its quite likley, that they may register late payments and/or a default against you (if they report to your credit file, not all utilities do so).
    It can be rectified, if it was their error, have you made an official written complaint, and not just a phone call ?
    Non payment will have automatically triggered Moorcrofts involvement, you can ignore Moorcroft, they just chase debts on behalf of their clients, in this case BG.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • D3xt3r5L4b
    D3xt3r5L4b Posts: 1,852 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Well your score means nothing so you can forget that part altogether. 

You can check online if your Gas Meter MPRN is correct here: https://findmysupplier.energy/webapp/index.html#

As for your Electric Meter you'll need to check here: https://www.energynetworks.org/info/faqs/who-is-my-network-operator.html
  • Sourcrates:
    Do you think even with the fact the letter is not registered to my address and is for a different account than mine that it can still be associated to me? 

I don’t need to apply for any other lines of credit in the near future (hopefully). We applied for a new lease car in July, which were approved for but the car is a factory order and won’t arrive till next month, so just anxious in case they do a second credit search because of the time lapse between ordering it and it getting delivered. Not sure if this is common practice for car leasing companies or not?

D3xt3r5L4B: thanks for the reply. Understand the score can lack importance but just concerned that if it’s associated to me it can effect my access to credit? Not overly concerned about the score per say.

Thanks

Jamie 

• Sorry, on the point of written complaint. We have had back and forth emails with their complaints department, and have just sent a more strongly worded one this evening with the letter attached from Moorcroft. 

I will ask for any further correspondence to be sent via email or post.
  • D3xt3r5L4b
    D3xt3r5L4b Posts: 1,852 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    No lender sees the score regardless of it being “associated to you”.

If you’re getting nowhere with BG request a letter of deadlock then take it to the energy ombudsman. 
  • Thanks for the info.

So you don’t think even if I’m this non payment gets linked to me it will effect my ability to lend money? I know this would eventually get rectified but just in the interim, I’ve always been nervous about negatively effecting my credit rating. 

Tried the find my supplier website, nothing shows for my address!

Thanks again. 

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure