Universal credit/IPA/Tax code change

Good Morning all. 

My husband and I went bankrupt last month and all had been plain sailing really in regards to things being sorted however I have a couple of questions that I hope you knowledgeable guys can help me with. 

Our case worker told us to wait to hear from the council re council tax payments, do we pay it in the mean time? Or was it wiped from when we went bankrupt?

Also, my husbands tax code hasn’t yet changed and again our case worker said it’s just that the tax office are behind. However, I’ve just suddenly thought will the change in tax code impact our universal credit because it will look like my husband is taking home a lot more money each month? 



  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,507
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Your current years council tax is included in your bankrupcy.
    If you have queries on his tax code, its best to ring them, remember, most companies are still short staffed, or working from home, this applies to HMRC as well.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing [email protected]. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Minkym00
    Minkym00 Posts: 768
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Ensure that the council have been informed about the bankruptcies by the OR. Don’t keep paying them as the OR will be claiming this money from you. 

    Have you returned the forms you were sent to complete? One of these is the HMRC form. Make sure the OR has received it. In any case it can take a month or so. Keep this money aside and don’t spend it as this will also be claimed by the OR.
Meet your Ambassadors


  • All Categories
  • 341.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.3K Life & Family
  • 246.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards