Do package holidays companies have to offer refund if FCO advises against travel?

As the title says really. We have a package holiday to France and now that the FCO advises against non-essential travel to France, should we be offered a refund? Would rather not go through the insurance route but suppose I may have to...

Comments

• Not enough info. When are you due to travel?  Who did you book with?  Insurance route isn't usually a choice, its a final resort.  if you booked a package holiday and it is cancelled for you, you would need to get a refund from whoever you booked with.  If the holiday isn't cancelled and you have cover for FCO advice against travel then you would need to claim from your insurance.
  • End of September, booked with Magic Breaks. Hasn’t been cancelled yet but according to https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2020/02/coronavirus-travel-help-and-your-rights/ I should be able to get a refund if the FCO advises against travel even if the agency don’t cancel it?
  • Butts
    Butts Posts: 1,289 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 30 August 2020 at 5:02PM
    ABTA member so they should offer you a full refund if you wish to cancel due to the FCO advisory on France in line with their recent proclamation. That's providing the advice remains the same at the time of Travel.
  • Mrsn
    Mrsn Posts: 1,430 Forumite
    Magic Breaks... I’m assuming you are going to Disneyland Paris? If you cancel then you will not get a refund it must be the agency that does so and not all agencies are doing that.

The travel situation is changing daily and some tour operators are now giving travellers the choice as to whether this still wish to go if their circumstances allow for them to be able to quarantine etc. 
  • Butts
    Mrsn said:
    Magic Breaks... I’m assuming you are going to Disneyland Paris? If you cancel then you will not get a refund it must be the agency that does so and not all agencies are doing that.

The travel situation is changing daily and some tour operators are now giving travellers the choice as to whether this still wish to go if their circumstances allow for them to be able to quarantine etc. 
    Are they going to resign from ABTA then ?
    I'd hit them with a chargeback pronto !!
  • Hi - I have same holiday booked earlier in sept with magic breaks - I quoted the regulations and law and ABTA - - they without hesitation said full refund less £25 admin fee within 14 days 

it’s been a week , not yet had refund , but they have agreed to it in writing and without argument 
  • Alan_Bowen
    Alan_Bowen Posts: 4,850 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Magic Breaks have been doing the right thing from day one and if FCO advice is still against travel and you want to request a refund, that is exactly what you will get 
  • Butts
    Magic Breaks have been doing the right thing from day one and if FCO advice is still against travel and you want to request a refund, that is exactly what you will get 
    So Mrsn above is talking out of their backside ?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback