We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

360 Months to go?

Options

Comments

• Grabs39
    Grabs39 Posts: 364 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 18 March 2021 at 10:31AM
    Options
    It never rains, but it pours (thankfully not through the roof anymore).

We redecorated the box room at half term, and are about to redecorate the other spare bedroom at Easter.  The carpet in the box room was about £150, it'll be the same again for the other room, plus we just bought £150 worth of wallpaper.  The car is due a service and MOT this month, and also needs its timing belt changed so that's about £600 all in (assuming nothing is wrong with it).  I suppose carpets and timing belts last a long time so won't have to be bought again (trying to see the positives here!)

So I've not added a huge amount lately, unfortunately!

£325/£9000 with 4 years and 3 months to go.

I'm going to start being stricter with meal plans, and scheduling takeaways.  All the £20/£30s here and there for a Chinese must really be adding up!  If we can have a few cheap meals a week and only one or two takeaways a month I think we should start having a bit left over in the bills account each month.
  • Grabs39
    edited 18 March 2021 at 10:44AM
    Options
    Knew I'd forgotten another big bill.  Car Insurance was due - £20 cheaper than last year at renewal, but I saved another £180 by switching.  £460 instead of £640 for both cars.

It's mad that at the ripe old age of 28 I now pay £180 a year for mine.  Eight years ago I paid £165 a month for my first car! 
  • powerspowers
    powerspowers Posts: 1,141 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Hi grabs, I think you are doing ok! New houses are expensive! Just keep chipping at it. I’d break the 5 year goal into smaller chunks and you’ll feel more on track. 
    Takeaways are normally our downfall too. We do a weekly “fakeaway” night from supermarket so £10-£15 rather than £30. Still feels like a treat but not so many ££ and slightly better for us 
    MFW 2021 #76 £5,145
    MFW 2022 #27 £5,300 
    MFW 2023 #27 £2,000
    MFW 2024 #27 £2,100 / £3,600

• Kittenkirst
    Kittenkirst Posts: 2,563 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi Grabs,
    I’m definitely a fan of “fakeaway” nights from the  supermarkets that Powerspowers suggested, and also “whip up dinners” which are essentially quick, cheap and easy meals. When my girlfriend and I are discussing what to make for dinner we always seem to think of more adventurous/time-consuming & expensive dinners to create, but sometimes a good egg & beans on toast or pasta, sauce and veg is an easy and frugal dinner to whip up.

We’re currently on a bit of a use-up campaign as moving soon; Maybe a fun challenge to look what’s been lurking in your cupboards and freezers and try to make something different with them and save some of that grocery money for the following week!

It sounds like you are doing great, paying down bills that arise but looking at the best value for money possible. Moving houses etc is a costly affair and it sounds like you are doing great!
    First home- Oct’16 until June’21: £170.995- Overpayments made £13,784 (25% extra!).
    New forever home- Sep’21 £309,449 @ 2.05%. Plan to clear it before 30 years!!!!!!
  • Grabs39
    Options
    Thanks!  Payday shop tomorrow so I'll grab some frozen pizzas etc to keep in case of a "Can't be bothered" day!  Could get in the "Dine in for £10" from M&S instead of a takeaway occasionally too.

Trying to come up with some quick, easy and cheap meal ideas too.

@Kittenkirst - we had some weird and wonderful meals last year ahead of our move when we ate things that had been in the cupboards for months or years!

• Grabs39
    Options
    Aldi have excelled today - must have saved £15-20 over getting a Domino’s! 

Also bought some jars of pasta sauce (something I’d never normally buy) and some stir fry stuff for some quick and easy dinners over the next couple of weeks.

And less money saving but I bought some Easter chocolate too!. Can’t believe how quick 2021 is going!
  • powerspowers
    powerspowers Posts: 1,141 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Now I want fakeaway 😂 
    MFW 2021 #76 £5,145
    MFW 2022 #27 £5,300 
    MFW 2023 #27 £2,000
    MFW 2024 #27 £2,100 / £3,600

• Grabs39
    edited 21 March 2021 at 11:34AM
    Options
    Fakeaways aside it's been a good moneysaving weekend so far.

On Friday night someone put four wooden dining chairs up for free on Facebook Marketplace.  We only have 5 chairs so needed some more for post-lockdown family dinners.  They're all solid and look smart enough.  One has a slight crack in the seat though I think I can fix it.  Well chuffed with my new "emergency churs"!

The gardening has been going well too.  My veg seedlings have come on and I have 6 pepper plants, 6 cucumbers and 9 tomatoes.  Far more than I'll have space for so I should have some extra plants to give away.  Nearly time to sow beans, peas and carrots too.

I also planted out the sunflowers.  I have some lobelia that fnally germinated after over 3 weeks, and some pansies and dahlias that are starting to come along.  Normally we'd buy plants from the nursery but I'm trying to make the most out of having a conservatory and grow everything from seed now.

The tree and the hedge whips I planted in the winter are showing signs of life.  I've seen quite a few bumblebees about so it must be warming up.

I've overseeded the "lawn" (or what's left of it after winter and two dogs) with some of the huge box of seed I bought in B&Q at Christmas for about a pound.
  • L9XSS
    L9XSS Posts: 438 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Well done with your progress. I’m a big fan of Facebook freebies. I managed to get three lovely Stone planters from a great guy in Edinburgh and also a large modern ikea lamp for my daughters room. It definitely helps. I’m busy looking at my finances today. I have one credit card with £800 balance and a personal loan that’s costing me £160 a month. Thankfully I will be mortgage neutral in May 2022.
  • Grabs39
    Options
    L9XSS said:
    Well done with your progress. I’m a big fan of Facebook freebies. I managed to get three lovely Stone planters from a great guy in Edinburgh and also a large modern ikea lamp for my daughters room. It definitely helps. I’m busy looking at my finances today. I have one credit card with £800 balance and a personal loan that’s costing me £160 a month. Thankfully I will be mortgage neutral in May 2022.
    We’ve usually found it helpful to avoid a tip run - I’m amazed at how much interest we got for a broken lawnmower, broken plant pots etc!  We also sold an IKEA blanket box/seat on there recently for £60 which I was well chuffed with.

I never seem to get much for free, but got a TV stand for the conservatory for £5, some shelves and drawers for the garage for a few pounds etc.  I always try to keep an eye out for a bargain.

Best of luck paying everything down.  I have a loan but I’m hoping it will be paid off this year.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.8K Life & Family
  • 249.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback