Is there a need to keep credit cards with £0 balance

Hi All, I am a credit card switcher following my divorce, and I'm paying off credit cards from before the divorce by transferring the balance to 0% transfer cards as and when the time comes. I do not spend on these cards, it is purely to pay off the balance which I am also making overpayments on. My question is, if I close the account of the outgoing credit card, will that ultimately harm my credit rating or am I better to keep the accounts open with a £0 balance. I made the mistake of requesting a lowering of the credit limit once and my credit rating hit the floor.  I apologise if this has been asked numerous times before but I have had a look and not quite found the answer.
Thanks in advance for your comments.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Your credit rating isn't important as it's not used by lenders.

But you do need to think about how you appear to lenders. If you already have a reasonable number of well managed accounts, you could afford to close one. However, there is generally no need to unless you have spending control issues.
  • Sandtree
    Sandtree Posts: 10,628 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I fully agree with @Deleted_User comments but would add the other consideration that if you do close them then you may become eligible for new customer benefits/bonuses again in the future (many cards its after 6 months, some its never) whereas you wouldn't be if you keep the account open.... as usual opposing forces that you need to strike your own balance on.
  • @Deleted_User and Sandtree, thank you so much for taking your time to comment. Sometimes its as you hoped but just needed some advice from others.
    Thanks again
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,417 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Just remember that to keep checking the accounts you are not using. As unchecked & unmonitored accounts are a higher fraud risk.
    Life in the slow lane
  • If you do use them again and have previously set up Direct Debits to pay, make sure those DD's have not become dormant.

I got caught out 6 years ago by neither the card provider or my bank advising the DD was dormant, so when I used the card after 14 months of inactivity for £10 the DD was not taken and I had a missed payment on my credit file until a month ago.

• Asghar
    Asghar Posts: 433 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I got caught out 6 years ago by neither the card provider or my bank advising the DD was dormant, so when I used the card after 14 months of inactivity for £10 the DD was not taken and I had a missed payment on my credit file until a month ago.
    Did it state on the statement that the money would be taken by DD?

• @Asghar, yes, no indication at all that the DD had gone dormant.
    The DD showed on my bank account as normal too.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback